Disabled Taxi Fares Sheffield

Morning all 

last night I had to get a disabled taxi from handsworth to hallamshire hospital due to an emergency 

with no where to park as usual round there just thought a taxi was less stressful,,taxi turned  on time no problem to be honest not so sure it was even a taxi but got there

but seriously £26.25 is this the going rate for me think it’s extremely expensive yet again people praying 

on people less fortunate,or maybe I’m wrong at that’s the rates anyone recommend anyone a little cheaper

21 minutes ago, jacklev1 said:

Morning all 

last night I had to get a disabled taxi from handsworth to hallamshire hospital due to an emergency 

with no where to park as usual round there just thought a taxi was less stressful,,taxi turned  on time no problem to be honest not so sure it was even a taxi but got there

but seriously £26.25 is this the going rate for me think it’s extremely expensive yet again people praying 

on people less fortunate,or maybe I’m wrong at that’s the rates anyone recommend anyone a little cheaper

You gave a price but didn't mention how far the journey was, or which company

Disability doesn't get a discount in a taxi as far as I know.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, zach said:

It says from Handsworth to the RHH, just looked on Google maps and it says 5.7 miles, seems very expensive.

I don’t expect a discount off any kind ,, a fare price is what you expect ,,from where we live in handsworth it’s 4.2 miles

i got a taxi same destination last week not disabled 12-00 not wanting to disclose the company yet just looking what other folk company’s charge just thought  to be honest the van that turned up was not the best state if I’m honest but it’s the costs  

4 hours ago, jacklev1 said:

Morning all 

If it was an Uber then that's about the right price. Not knowing your exact location in Handsworth I got an estimate for around £23-24

PHVs like Veezu show around £20. 

2 hours ago, jacklev1 said:

I don’t expect a discount off any kind

But yet you started the thread by titling it "Disabled taxi fares" then went on to infer that those less fortunate shouldn't pay as much. 

I disagree. Disabled people are able to claim Personal Independence Payments, a benefit that in part is pay towards additional travel costs that may be incurred. 

Edited by Resident

4 hours ago, zach said:

don’t expect a discount for anything jus saying not using taxis thought the fair was expensive 

22 minutes ago, Resident said:

If it was an Uber then that's about the right price. Not knowing your exact location in Handsworth I got an estimate for around £23-24

But yet you started the thread by titling it "Disabled taxi fares" then went on to infer that those less fortunate shouldn't pay as much. 

I disagree. Disabled people are able to claim Personal Independence Payments, a benefit that in part is pay towards additional travel costs that may be incurred. 

Because the taxi is kitted out to carry wheelchair users as for 26.25 for me MY OPINION 

it’s very expensive for 4.7 miles  when an ordinary fare in a taxi cost me 12

just 2 weeks ago 

in other words how ever you put it there praying on people in wheelchairs  twice as much 

6 minutes ago, jacklev1 said:

don’t expect a discount for anything jus saying not using taxis thought the fair was expensive 

As that’s what is was a disabled wheelchair taxi

1 hour ago, Resident said:

Cost me 7 quid for an Uber from town to Endcliffe last night, just under 3 miles, so £26.25 for 4.7 miles from Handsworth last night does seem expensive.

6 hours ago, jacklev1 said:

Morning all 

Something doesn’t sound right. Hackneys (black cab type) can only charge what the meter shows. Private hires charge in accordance with the companies set fares, which then form the basis of a contract between you and the company. It’s unlawful to charge more for someone with a disability under the Equality Act 2010. 

if you have details of the vehicle or the company you booked it with report it to [email protected] and they will look into it.

Look this post was a way off finding out if other disabled wheelchair users have come across the same thing ,honestly I don’t expect the taxi fare been cheaper for a wheelchair, user but charge twice the amount paid 12 for same journey 2 weeks previous seem a bit off a rip off there was no meter in the taxi just looked at his phone? 
as I say we have our own car but with parking around the hospital at tea time having to get from a/b as quick as I can sometimes it just don’t seem right 

1 hour ago, spuggy said:

report it to [email protected] and they will look into it.

Well that's a blatant lie. They won't deal with taxis in Sheffield. They're scared. 

On 20/12/2023 at 05:47, jacklev1 said:

Morning all 

I guess the question is would the fare be £26.25 if you weren't disabled?

Edited by Jack Grey