Does Anyone Know If You Can Exchange Stamps (Of Different Values)

This is not asking if one can stop old perforated type stamps with the newer bar coded ones, it's can one swap stamps of different values, and if so how ?

For instance, I have a whole load of 1st class Large stamps (current value £1.65 each) which I no longer need, and I'd like to swap them for a 2nd Class Standard size stamps. (current value 75p each)

I asked in Hillsborough Post Office and was told they could not do it there (typical modern computer says no type answer ! ).

Edited by Chekhov

I seem to remember reading that stamps could be regarded as legal currency?

5 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Royal Mail stamp swap out scheme website includes this contact Alternatively, you can call Royal Mail’s customer services on 03457 740740 if you need help. It is open Monday to Friday 7am-8pm, Saturday 8am-6pm and Sunday 9am-4pm.

I think that's about swapping older type stamps for the newer bar coded types ?

Mine are the newer bar coded types, but, since we now use RM's Click & Drop system we no longer need Large First class stamps.

I was hoping to avoid phoning RM, the last time I did I was on for ages before I got through. Is it one of those voice recognition computer ones as well, I hate them, I just swear at them till they put me through to  a real human... 

Edited by Chekhov

8 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Royal Mail stamp swap out scheme website includes this contact Alternatively, you can call Royal Mail’s customer services on 03457 740740 if you need help. It is open Monday to Friday 7am-8pm, Saturday 8am-6pm and Sunday 9am-4pm.

I sent old stamps valued at £7 something and never got owt back. A dream scheme for bent postmen.

I once heard you can use a stamp to pay your Bus Fare, my god!  Some Bus drivers get face on givin em a five pound note.  :roll:

• Haha 1

Stamps are legal tender I believe but I highly doubt the bus driver of the No 1 to Jordanthorpe accepting it.

Edited by Al Bundy

I took the plunge and phoned RM...I was waiting about 10 min for them to answer but at least I didn't have to speak to a computer.....

They told me there was no way I could swap them, which I think is pretty bad really.

In my business if one of my customers had bought something he no longer needed then wanted to swap it for something of equivalent value (so long as we still stocked his returned products) we'd say yes, but not, apparently, the RM.

If you have a good relationship with your local post office, you may be able to exchange the new, unwanted, bar-coded stamps for ones of your preferred denomination.

There is also a market for unused stamps, but you would have to take a hit on that.

Edited by ThePilot

38 minutes ago, ThePilot said:

If you have a good relationship with your local post office, you may be able to exchange the new, unwanted, bar-coded stamps for ones of your preferred denomination.

There is also a market for unused stamps, but you would have to take a hit on that.

I expected to be able to do that, but Hillsborough PO wouldn't play ball !