Coal Electricity Generation - In The Summer?

https://grid.iamkate.com/     the content will change so if you click on it later at 9:00 am we were generating 0.9GW  from coal which with demand at 30GW is 0.9%   nothing really just a marker for the condition we are in, the amount of gas being used is a bigger issue, the stuffs too useful for just making electricity from.

I personally am not against a bit of coal generation, with scrubbed emissions plus  can also generate some useful by products, but it does show how messed up our nations administration have been letting the state get in this ...  erm .....    well state.

Just need plenty of water canons (electrically powered?) and build a few more prisons for the anti socials who will use it as an excuse to cause trouble. 

The hypocrisy that really gets to you, I have to pay a fortune in tax for a vehicle I hardly use, banning the sale of new i.c.e. cars in a few years etc. etc.

We do need to build some nuclear power stations fast, after all we are buying French nuclear made tricity.

As I said yesterday Ratcliffe was fired up because of the demand for air-conditioning and the outage on the new North Sea cable from Norway. The ditherings of the Tory Government has led to delay in completing Hinckley and the new Sizewell reactors project has yet to be fully given the go ahead. By the time these reactors are generating anything. at least four Nuclear power stations will have closed down.

I have read somewhere, possibly on Twitter, that yesterday was "too hot for solar generation" and therefore thats why spot electric prices have gone up the last few days despite it being very sunny.

Can someone please explain how it can be "too hot" for solar power to be generated? Do solar panels have an optimum temperature that was exceeded yesterday?

Edited by HeHasRisen

52 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I have read somewhere, possibly on Twitter, that yesterday was "too hot for solar generation" and therefore thats why spot electric prices have gone up the last few days despite it being very sunny.

Can someone please explain how it can be "too hot" for solar power to be generated? Do solar panels have an optimum temperature that was exceeded yesterday?

Cooler the better, hotter they get the less their output by about 0.3% per deg c. I think it's more to do with state connected boffins and politicians making excuses, we are making more to day than yesterday because there is less cloud despite it being hotter. At the moment we a producing 9.2GW from solar which is very good.

Just now, Arthur Ritus said:

Cooler the better, hotter they get the less their output by about 0.3% per deg c. I think it's more to do with state connected boffins and politicians making excuses, we are making more to day than yesterday because there is less cloud despite it being hotter. At the moment we a producing 9.2GW from solar which is very good.

Interesting cheers. Hadnt seen that link you posted before, useful info.

18 hours ago, Arthur Ritus said:

The vast majority of solar power is generated from privately owned or operated solar farms, domestic contribution is considered problematic.

Manufactures compare the efficiency of their products when the panels are operating at 25°C, when in the real world they will be operating at between 45°C and 65°C on a hot UK day* at which the cheaper systems will be 17% less efficient than advertised by the manufacturers and  made public by the "...state connected boffins...".    

*The 'state connected boffins' who independently test manufacturers claims also disclose that the cheaper systems are 10% more efficient on the coldest winter days (0°C or below) and in some cases can generate more power than more expensive systems.  

Equally important are factors are: 

Solar Irradiance (clouds, haze, dirt and dust, latitude and time of year)

Panel orientation (direction and tilt are set to make the most money )

Dust and dirt on the panels

Installers and manufacturers make many claims but ignore other factors such as system degradation, land usage, environmental cost of raw material, production, installation and disposal.