Former Farmfoods On Chesterfield Road

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Plus that unit is well away from the other Woodseats shops.

It's hardly well away...there are shops on either side of the unit. 

1 hour ago, Pyrotequila said:

The parking situation around there is a pain in the backside, so whatever it is it needs to be something people can walk to.

It's not going to be scooped off the ground and moved to a different location. 

There is some space on the forecourt for a small car park. With buses every two minutes, I don't see how it would be absolutely vital to drive there unless you are doing a large shop. I prefer to get the bus there and then call in Cheers for some drinks afterwards... can't do that driving.

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

It's not going to be a little Waitrose. There is a Waitrose only a few miles away and I dont believe there is a single "little Waitrose" up north (happy to be corrected there). Plus that unit is well away from the other Woodseats shops.

There is one in Nottingham, but I really don’t think we’ll be getting one on Woodseats, partly due to the large Waitrose (one of their biggest stores in the country), and partly due to how badly they are doing financially. Plus, the “Little Waitrose” prices are even higher than the main stores!

22 minutes ago, northernboy said:

There is one in Nottingham, but I really don’t think we’ll be getting one on Woodseats, partly due to the large Waitrose (one of their biggest stores in the country), and partly due to how badly they are doing financially. Plus, the “Little Waitrose” prices are even higher than the main stores!

Tesco has a huuuuugeee store on Spiral hil but also has a convenience store a short walk away on Barnsley Road. I don't see why there can't be both.

A lot of supermarkets are diversifying into convenience brands, I have noticed Morrison's Daily stores popping up all over the country and then there is the new small Co Op on Glossop Road. 

Woodseats has been short on the supermarket front since Tesco closed. It's quite a trek up the hill to Morrison's.

5 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Tesco has a huuuuugeee store on Spiral hil but also has a convenience store a short walk away on Barnsley Road. I don't see why there can't be both.

A lot of supermarkets are diversifying into convenience brands, I have noticed Morrison's Daily stores popping up all over the country and then there is the new small Co Op on Glossop Road. 

Woodseats has been short on the supermarket front since Tesco closed. It's quite a trek up the hill to Morrison's.

Those are usually franchise operations in petrol stations, not directly owned by Morrisons. You may note there used to be a branch of this on Abbeydale Rd and it didnt last long.

Waitrose is very south centric (look at this map if you dont believe me). They are highly unlikely to open a convenience version in Sheffield  a couple of miles away from a large supermarket

18 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Those are usually franchise operations in petrol stations, not directly owned by Morrisons. You may note there used to be a branch of this on Abbeydale Rd and it didnt last long.

Waitrose is very south centric (look at this map if you dont believe me). They are highly unlikely to open a convenience version in Sheffield  a couple of miles away from a large supermarket

The only areas they don't operate/develop is in the North West, bar one store in Chester and one store in Cheadle Hulme. The reason for this is the owner of Waitrose is good friends with the owner of another supermarket brand called Booth's that operate in the North West and they have an agreement not to compete directly with each other. I think I read that on this forum.

Morrison's on Abbeydale Road was always very empty and over staffed. It seems people on that road prefer to use the independent stores, as they cater to international food demands such as Mama Zanzibar. The Tesco on Abbeydale Road is also under patronised in comparison to the one at Dore or the one at Crosspool.

3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's hardly well away...there are shops on either side of the unit. 

It's not going to be scooped off the ground and moved to a different location. 

There is some space on the forecourt for a small car park. With buses every two minutes, I don't see how it would be absolutely vital to drive there unless you are doing a large shop. I prefer to get the bus there and then call in Cheers for some drinks afterwards... can't do that driving.

My bold. 

No shops.  One side is residential properties on the other side is Woodseats school.   

The problem for Farm Foods was the parking, especially when they had their deliveries, hence the move down to the small retail park on Chesterfield Rd., next to Dunelm's.  Plenty of parking space

Just now, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

No shops.  One side is residential properties on the other side is Woodseats school.   

The problem for Farm Foods was the parking, especially when they had their deliveries, hence the move down to the small retail park on Chesterfield Rd., next to Dunelm's.  Plenty of parking space

The main strip of shops continues right up to the sign saying welcome to Woodseats. 

I can imagine it very difficult to park an HGV in that area, with the corner and junction and also the bus stop makes parking on the main road difficult. Perhaps if it is knocked down and rebuilt, it could be set back to allow the front space to be made in to a loading bay.

The problem with that first section of Woodseats is, for one reason or another, it appears that retail units are no longer required.  A number have already gone including a newsagents & Ladbrokes.  Over other side of the road, what were once small retail units now look as though they are being converted to residential properties & I'm  not sure if the retail units are going to open up again.  

Apart from being a restaurant or another independent pub / bar, I can't imagine what they're going to do with the Farm Foods site? 

We'll just have to wait & see? 

Edited by Baron99

Someone on Facebook have said it’s going to be a flower shop relocating from Meersbrook.  As Hollyhocks is closing it could do quite well. 

4 minutes ago, DumDom said:

Someone on Facebook have said it’s going to be a flower shop relocating from Meersbrook.  As Hollyhocks is closing it could do quite well. 

That's a lot of space for a few carnations. 

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

That's a lot of space for a few carnations. 

I thought the same thing. Unless they have a cafe or sell other things. But still very big . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DumDom said:

I thought the same thing. Unless they have a cafe or sell other things. But still very big . 

A botanical cafe could prove popular with the hipsters.