Coronation

18 hours ago, Litotes said:

>>cuttsie said:
The biggest waste of public funds in history<<

Surely that was Brexit?

A better case could be made for spending £400 Billion unsuccessfully trying to suppress Covid.

Or even a quarter of a Billion a year spent on EICRs, electrical reports of rented properties.

Possibly even DBS checks which cost between a quarter and half a Billion pounds a year (depending on if you make an allowance for the time needed by the applicants).

And I am willing to bet that no cost to benefit analysis was done on any of those gargantuan amounts of expenditure.

I don’t think I would like to live by Cromwell’s  laws.  I think I would be spending most of my time in the stocks.  Below is life under Cromwell unless you happened to be a family member.

Cromwell was a Puritan. He was a highly religious man who believed that everybody should lead their lives according to what was written in the Bible. The word “Puritan” means that followers had a pure soul and lived a good life. Cromwell believed that everybody else in England should follow his example. 

One of the main beliefs of the Puritans was that if you worked hard, you would get to Heaven. Pointless enjoyment was frowned upon. Cromwell shut many inns and the theatres were all closed down. Most sports were banned. Boys caught playing football on a Sunday could be whipped as a punishment. Swearing was punished by a fine, though those who kept swearing could be sent to prison.

Sunday became a very special day under he Puritans. Most forms of work were banned. Women caught doing unnecessary work on the Holy Day could be put in the stocks. Simply going for a Sunday walk (unless it was to church) could lead to a hefty fine.

To keep the population’s mind on religion, instead of having feast days to celebrate the saints (as had been common in Medieval England), one day in every month was a fast day – you did not eat all day.

34 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

So do I, it was lovely watching them ride along side this beautiful golden coach.

I'm no fan of Charles, but my U.K. family were going on about it on WhatsApp. so I slid into the "british" pub (local beer only, and ashtrays on the bar for those so inclined) to catch a little of it on TV.

Must admit the sheer historical spectacle of it all stirred my heart, The public came out in droves, all full of good will and pride in their country.

I didn't notice any protesting, destruction, arson, looting, although according to todays Guardian head line (Since take down) it was a mix of "supporters and protesters". Another piece( still there, found it to be:

"Protesters in handcuffs and nonstop bling: this coronation has been an embarrassment"

Many countries sent their leaders, to show support,  Even the U,S, sent their most influential Biden minder, Dr. Jill.

Joe couldn't make it, because of whatever. Maybe he was just knackered from visiting Ireland the week before! Or more likely letting him loose among those World Leaders, was fraught with bad gaffes and bad optics from the old demented geezer. Can't have him farting on Camilla again, or trying to shake hands with nobody!  :)

Edited by trastrick

I'm a bit ambivalent about the monarchy, though I watched both the Queen's funeral and the Coronation as they were both great and historic (and impressive) state occasions, history if you like.

I am not an "anti monarchist" but I was disturbed to hear about them being moved on and their banners taken off them. People have a right to protest in a free country and we restrict that at our peril, so long as it doesn't break the law (like the Nett Zero extremists closing roads for instance).

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

I'm a bit ambivalent about the monarchy, though I watched both the Queen's funeral and the Coronation as they were both great and historic (and impressive) state occasions, history if you like.

I am not an "anti monarchist" but I was disturbed to hear about them being moved on and their banners taken off them. People have a right to protest in a free country and we restrict that at our peril, so long as it doesn't break the law (like the Nett Zero extremists closing roads for instance).

These people are professional protesters who are all associated with ER, AR, JSO and the SWP

They wouldve ruined the day for a lot of people who had gone to London to enjoy the occasion.

The police probably arrested them to protect them from getting a well deserved kicking from the crowd

15 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I don’t think I would like to live by Cromwell’s  laws.  I think I would be spending most of my time in the stocks.  Below is life under Cromwell unless you happened to be a family member.

Cromwell was a Puritan. He was a highly religious man who believed that everybody should lead their lives according to what was written in the Bible. The word “Puritan” means that followers had a pure soul and lived a good life. Cromwell believed that everybody else in England should follow his example. 

One of the main beliefs of the Puritans was that if you worked hard, you would get to Heaven. Pointless enjoyment was frowned upon. Cromwell shut many inns and the theatres were all closed down. Most sports were banned. Boys caught playing football on a Sunday could be whipped as a punishment. Swearing was punished by a fine, though those who kept swearing could be sent to prison.

Sunday became a very special day under he Puritans. Most forms of work were banned. Women caught doing unnecessary work on the Holy Day could be put in the stocks. Simply going for a Sunday walk (unless it was to church) could lead to a hefty fine.

To keep the population’s mind on religion, instead of having feast days to celebrate the saints (as had been common in Medieval England), one day in every month was a fast day – you did not eat all day.

Sounds smashing to me that lot does . Sunday was always a day off .

and were smashing when I was a kid ,   Swearing  is now out of hand mams telling little kids to      off in town and so on its cringworthy ,    Pubs and theatres still getting closed in record numbers , 

As to a puriton well Charles was anointed by gods chosen men in frocks yesterday they pored alsorts of stuff on him he looked daft before they started all that rigmerole and even dafter wi all that Castrol XL on his head . Its a wonder that crown wi stolen diamond diamond ( biggest int World ) dint slip off .

As to fasting one day a month , my Mrs always says she will start on Monday after a godd bank holiday knees up , just said it in fact .

Nowt changes .

Edited by cuttsie

Just now, Chekhov said:

I disagree. It was a common sense decision.

The protesters were grossly outnumbered and if they had resorted to the usual rent a mob tactics, their lives could have been in jeopardy from the huge crowd of avid supporters.

As it was, nobody was injured or killed, as a result of the measures taken.

As for the right to protest, let them have their own protests, and likewise arrest anybody who try to make trouble for them.

Edited by trastrick

9 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

These people are professional protesters who are all associated with ER, AR, JSO and the SWP

They wouldve ruined the day for a lot of people who had gone to London to enjoy the occasion.

The police probably arrested them to protect them from getting a well deserved kicking from the crowd

Arguably they should have had their own little area to protest together, not getting the way of the crowds view and stuff, but it looked bad to the world to see peaceful protesters being moved on in a supposedly peaceful protest.

I watched the Coronation. I watched the last one as well, that was my first time viewing a television set!

It went to plan, everything was said and done, and lots ofspectators enjoyed it. Happy day. But for myself it was a London "thing" and largely for the benefit of the metropolis. There were some 8,000 military personnel involved, which is 10% of our armed forces! They were well drilled and a great recruiting incentive. 

My only (small) gripe is with the service itself. I know it is a sort of holy communion, but Welby seemed to want to run the whole thing himself, for the CofE. And it seemed that any cleric with a gold cape got a job, candle snuffer in waiting or whatever. Too much God bothering from my perspective. However, the music was very uplifting. 

But well organised, it's something we are very good at. 

I doubt I will be around for the next one.

Grumpy of S8. 

10 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I disagree. It was a common sense decision.

The protesters were grossly outnumbered and if they dad resorted to the usual rent a mob tactics, their lives could have been in jeopardy from the huge crowd of avid supporters.

As it was, nobody was injured or killed, as a result of the measures taken.

As for the right to protest, let them have their own protests, and likewise arrest anybody who try to make trouble for them.

Yes I agree the protesters were outnumbered and for their own safety the police did the right thing for their own protection.

12 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Yes I agree the protesters were outnumbered and for their own safety the police did the right thing for their own protection.

The police could have corralled them and protected them, they do that for the anti oil extremists who are causing far more of an obstruction and, arguably acting illegally as well.

As I said I am not an anti monarchist, but free speech is paramount, it was a very bad look, esp to the rest of the world.

This is supposed to be a free country and it is becoming normal to just restrict peoples freedoms "to keep everyone safe". Cobblers to that.

44 minutes ago, trastrick said:

I'm no fan of Charles, but my U.K. family were going on about it on WhatsApp. so I slid into the "british" pub (local beer only, and ashtrays on the bar for those so inclined) to catch a little of it on TV.

Must admit the sheer historical spectacle of it all stirred my heart, The public came out in droves, all full of good will and pride in their country.

I didn't notice any protesting, destruction, arson, looting, although according to todays Guardian head line (Since take down) it was a mix of "supporters and protesters". Another piece( still there, found it to be:

"Protesters in handcuffs and nonstop bling: this coronation has been an embarrassment"

Many countries sent their leaders, to show support,  Even the U,S, sent their most influential Biden minder, Dr. Jill.

Joe couldn't make it, because of whatever. Maybe he was just knackered from visiting Ireland the week before! Or more likely letting him loose among those World Leaders, was fraught with bad gaffes and bad optics from the old demented geezer. Can't have him farting on Camilla again, or trying to shake hands with nobody!  :)

Watching the pageantry on a large public screen with some ariel views as they made there way back to the palace was splendid and breathtaking.  
I had a feeling Biden wouldn’t come  to the coronation. Not sure why tho.

Edited by hauxwell