Colin Dobson R.I.P.

You mean the Hillsborough  replay (early 1965) after a very late Andy Burgin own goal at Goodison Park ) , with Fred Pickering running amok for the Toffeemen that night. And two years in a row -1965 and 1966, Everton  sent us out of the FA Cup.

5 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

RIP from a Blade

Thank you !

Correct stainoodle, don't think Brown rated Brian Usher or John Hickton either, I think he only played them if he had to.

Edited by St Petre
add

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Scored the first goal I saw at Hillsborough - diving header at the Kop end in a 4-1 win over Man City. Think it was 1963 - we lived near Doncaster at the time - my Dad brought me to the match as a birthday treat. Bronco Layne got a second half hat trick at the Leppings Lane end.

When we moved to Deepcar in 1967, Dobson, then at Huddersfield, lived on the same estate as us, as did Alan Woodward.

RIP - a goal I'll never forget.

I went out with a girl from Deepcar, 1965-66, nice place, I trust it still is ? Was it under Wortley then and not Sheffield ?

20 minutes ago, St Petre said:

I went out with a girl from Deepcar, 1965-66, nice place, I trust it still is ? Was it under Wortley then and not Sheffield ?

Not lived there for over 40 years. Deepcar was under the West Riding until 1974 - same as Wortley - but Wortley came under Barnsley after the West Riding was abolished.

47 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Correct stainoodle, don't think Brown rated Brian Usher or John Hickton either, I think he only played them if he had to.

Brown was a very limited manager made some poor decisions, but brought on some decent youngsters, his decision to release Hickton & Dobson, play Ellis at CB in the cup final were all choices that ultimately had consequences in the longer term, when Wednesday eventually released Ellis he went to a fourth division side Lincoln, Hickton and Dobson both achieved promotion back to the upper tier and enjoyed success full careers

14 hours ago, staninoodle said:

Brown was a very limited manager made some poor decisions, but brought on some decent youngsters, his decision to release Hickton & Dobson, play Ellis at CB in the cup final were all choices that ultimately had consequences in the longer term, when Wednesday eventually released Ellis he went to a fourth division side Lincoln, Hickton and Dobson both achieved promotion back to the upper tier and enjoyed success full careers

Reason Ellis played in the cup final in 1966 was the injury to Vic Mobley.

• Like 1

R.I.P Dobby.

In the majority of games, he could hardly get going. He'd beat the two opponents that used to to shadow him every game and quite often the 3rd scared geezer would stop him in his tracks.... but not always.

A very dangerous Winger, very effective. The Club say he was No. 8

I remember him as a No. 11.

One of a great team, which represented Sheffield in Europe either then, or very shortly afterwards.

Condolences to Colin's family and friends.

I'm not Memory Man these days. 🤔