Sheffield Wednesday Club Statement

Doubt very much there'll be apologies from those who couldn't wait to criticize the club at the time..including the usual vocal few on here.....

A review at Hillsborough Stadium over concerns about crowd movements has concluded, stating that all aspects of safety at the stadium complied fully with the club’s Safety Certificate. Minor recommendations were made relating to the overall matchday experience.

The review was commissioned by Sheffield City Council and Sheffield Wednesday Football Club, with oversight from the Sports Ground Safety Authority after concerns were raised relating to the match between Sheffield Wednesday and Newcastle United on Saturday 7 January.

As part of the review the group reached out to Newcastle United supporters who attended the fixture, liaised with partner agencies, examined matchday records and scrutinised CCTV images. 

A review of the crowd management procedures implemented by the club on the day, together with revisiting associated capacity calculations, was also carried out.

Councillor Joe Otten, Sheffield City Council, said:

“Public safety is our priority; we work together with governing bodies and our local clubs to make sure everyone attending matches is safe. We understand that fans are going to feel concerned if they feel like there is overcrowding, so it’s our responsibility to ensure that we don’t put people in that position, and where concerns are raised, we take them very seriously.

“We have carried out a thorough review looking at all the evidence available as well as speaking to fans, officials and stewards who were present on the day. We’ve also reviewed all matchday operation plans.

“Our findings show full compliance at the stadium and no issues relating to the matchday operation. Some minor changes have been identified to improve the overall experience.

“As is normal procedure, we will continue working together, carrying out routine checks and sharing plans and knowledge to make sure everyone on site is safe and has the best experience possible.”

The concerns raised were also subject to review by the Safety Advisory Group who agreed with the findings. The FA and EFL have also been notified of observations from the fixture, with no additional requirements asked of the club or at the stadium.

Liam Dooley, Sheffield Wednesday Chief Operating Officer, said: 

“We welcome the outcome of this review as the welfare of all supporters and everyone inside the stadium is our utmost priority. 

“We would reiterate that the stewarding numbers within the visitors’ section of the stadium for the Newcastle fixture exceeded the requirements of the Safety Certificate.

“The Newcastle ticket allocation also complied completely with the Safety Certificate. We continuously review our safety management plans and ensure the correct measures are in place for every fixture at Hillsborough.

“Extensive planning meetings with relevant stakeholders are held before each game, with equally extensive review meetings thereafter.

“While we have full confidence in our matchday operations, we welcome feedback on an ongoing basis as to how we can improve the experience for supporters and listen to any concerns raised as a matter of course.

“We have worked closely with Sheffield City Council and the respective sports governing bodies in conducting a robust review of the Newcastle United fixture and are pleased that the findings support the confidence we have in our procedures. 

“Some minor recommendations will be implemented to ensure we continue to deliver the best possible matchday experience.”

Edited by Sheridan1-0
  • Like 1

as i said at the time just moaning newcastle fans cos they lost ,its not a perfect stand ,but its safe

So as we all said at the time, a complete non-story developed from misrepresented photos, over-exaggerated accounts and disgusting journalists who like to  jump on the disaster band-waggon to fish for likes, follows and sales.

Edited by TeatOwl95
  • Like 1

Who started the unsafe thread?

24 minutes ago, ukdobby said:

Who started the unsafe thread?

One of those who are above criticism....and consider themselves to be untouchable....🤣

• Like 2

Just now, cmonkes said:

You lot really are something else! 🤣🤣 

Let's draw a line he says and then continues his bullying mindset.

Monksey old lad....i was more than happy to draw a line...but both you and a couple of others didn't want to know ...but to be fair ,my previous comment was meant tongue in cheek....

26 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

I have nothing to draw a line on, your behaviour is the problem. 

And to be fair, i would rather you not comment regarding me plural. Again exhibiting cyber bullying behaviour! Going out of your way to direct comments and abuse towards me personally. Just further shows your own personality doesn't it? You can't leave me alone? You can't aimply discuss footballing issues sensibly, you can't help yourself.... BULLY

Drawing a line under things would have resulted in discussing football issues sensibly wouldn't it..?

and to be fair......Take a good look at how you post before you start criticizing myself and others on here...putting "WEIRD FOLK MESSAGE THEMSELVES"  is a prime example of the sort of person you really are.....CLOWN

4 hours ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

Doubt very much there'll be apologies from those who couldn't wait to criticize the club at the time..including the usual vocal few on here.....

Without any tantrums or sarcasm can you point out who the usual vocal few on here are who criticised the club for this are?.

Having read that report it seems to be in line with what most people posted.

I've looked through the thread and can't see anyone apart from you having issues on it.

Edited by Alextopman

2 hours ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

One of those who are above criticism....and consider themselves to be untouchable....🤣

Who are these?.

2 hours ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

Monksey old lad....i was more than happy to draw a line...but both you and a couple of others didn't want to know ...but to be fair ,my previous comment was meant tongue in cheek....

Dem lines drawn.

More lines than EMR.🤣🤣🤣🤣.

4 hours ago, wendelspans said:

Much ado about nothing stirred up by social media.

& a prem  team humiliated by league 1