Water/Gas Leak Stannington Declared A Major Incident

For days now people in Sheffield stannington, malin bridge and hilsborough are without gas water and even an overloaded electricity network about to give up. 

Sheffield council has finally declared this a major incident. Why it took them this long I don't know because thinking this is enormous, and major incident was first thing I thought when hearing about all that water flushing out of gas appliances last weekend. A water pipe had burst, and this water came into the gas network and squirted out of gas appliances.

Yesterday they said that it will be sorted by friday but I do not believe this because it takes little water to block a gas pipe and every house all appliances need disconnecting cleaned and checked as well. Then a gas pipe pressure safety test is needed in that every house again. This is going to take a long time even if all Sheffield's gas engineers would help out with it nonstop.

Edited by dutch
  • Like 1

That's terrible planning.

We are supposed to have people employed for this type of event and task.

Gas safety is a major undertaking and like you say EVERY household will need to be gas safety checked once the gas lines are cleared up to the gas meters.

It needs a massive effort from the water and gas services to get this done quickly and safely.

• Like 1

Can they not draft in Gas men from other areas to help? 

Serious question, does it matter what company they work for?  

Even the Army could pitch in to get things moving. 

Are the Army specifically trained in fixing gas leaks?

24 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Can they not draft in Gas men from other areas to help? 

Serious question, does it matter what company they work for?  

Even the Army could pitch in to get things moving. 

Engineers have been brought from around the nation and have been working around the clock.

Water was squirting out of gasmeters, hobs, from boilers, gasfires.

I do assume all these gasmeters will need replacing, all pipes cleaned of every drop water. All these appliances cleaned and tested. Every house then pressuretested for safety. 

Only gas safe registered people are allowed to do this in UK, not much the army can do here other than hand out the electric heaters and hobs.

Edited by dutch
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Are the Army specifically trained in fixing gas leaks?

I would imagine their engineers can turn there hands to most things, and I'd have thought that flushing water out of pipes wouldn't be beyond them.

• Like 2

Cadent have the contract for maintaining the gas network in this area and they will have/buy in supply engineers.

This is their Stannington Incident site.

The Army have not got the gas supply expertise-they would bring in civilian contractors. 

Domestic gas contractors would not have the skills to manage the supply side.

So there we go then. Anything else that Anna thinks the Army could turn its hand to? A cure for cancer or complex brain surgery, maybe?

Edited by HeHasRisen

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

So there we go then. Anything else that Anna thinks the Army could turn its hand to? A cure for cancer or complex brain surgery, maybe?

She means they could help out clear the pipes domestically and help engineers like assistants.

She may have a point this this a big major problem that puts people without gas more than a week on coldest December days. 

Lucky this did not happen Christmas eve. 

Were told immediately army will drive ambulance when drivers strike, an engineer could easily assist gas engineers increasing their speed at every house that needs gas ASAP again. 

Edited by dutch

I live in Stannington but my street hasn’t been affected by this incident, but Cadent still called at my house yesterday to see if I was.  I thought this was very good of them. I wonder why some streets are affected but others aren’t ?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I live in Stannington but my street hasn’t been affected by this incident, but Cadent still called at my house yesterday to see if I was.  I thought this was very good of them. I wonder why some streets are affected but others aren’t ?

For the same reason some houses would be affected by a power cut and some wouldnt.

25 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

For the same reason some houses would be affected by a power cut and some wouldnt.

I’ve heard from people on the next road to me who also haven’t been affected but Cadent still came round checking to see if our gas was still on. They advised us not to switch our gas off at the mains. Anyway Stannington is now famous as we’ve been on Look North and Calendar!