Getting An Id1 Form Signed/Authorised By Solicitor

I need to inform the Land Registry of a change of address, to do this I need to get an ID1 form authorised by them, I have contacted a solicitor who wanted to do all the 'work' (it's a simple form) and charge me the staggering sum of £750.

Last time I was charged about £30 but these guys have since moved.

Anyone any recent recommendations please?

Yes, totally crazy why the LR need this when they can see Passports, Driving licence and everything thing else I possibly have, yet they need a solicitor to verify me?

I mean even for a passport it can be authorised by a teacher of GP, GP more likely to know me than a solicitor!

Thread helpful, just show's it's not just me .

On 01/11/2022 at 13:29, Twitcher said:

I need to inform the Land Registry of a change of address, to do this I need to get an ID1 form authorised by them, I have contacted a solicitor who wanted to do all the 'work' (it's a simple form) and charge me the staggering sum of £750.

The fee is not fixed by law- so a solicitor can charge whatever fee is selected: esp. as the person whose identity is being certified is not that solicitor's client (so the usual 'fair & reasonable' rule does not apply).

I see it, however, as more like a Commissioner for Oaths fee. That is fixed by law at £5 per Affidavit/Affirmation/Declaration, plus £2 per exhibit (associated item also to be countersigned). See The Commissioners for Oaths (Authorised Persons) (Fees) Order 1993 [SI 1993, no. 2298]: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1993/2298/article/2/made#text%3D"commissioner for oaths" fee

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Interesting, maybe it's me quoting the ID1 form that pushes the price up

What do we charge?

We charge the following for our Commissioner for Oaths, Statutory Declarations and Certified Copies service:

• £5 per document per person witnessed
  • £5 per certified copy document
  • £2 per exhibit

All proceeds from the above services will be donated to Good Life Dog Rescue, a local charity to us that cares for stray and rescued dogs.

For a Change of Name Deed our charges are:

• £90 plus VAT and disbursements

Edited by Twitcher
new info

1 hour ago, Tyke02 said:

Some Post Offices will do up to 3 documents for £12.75.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/document-certification

Thank you Tyke, however I think Land Registry only accept those from legal organisations

I have also asked if Land Registry are open to travel to one in Nottingham as that would be cheaper but due to Covid, I  doubt they are open to the public any longer at least it appears that way.

On 04/11/2022 at 11:45, Tyke02 said:

Some Post Offices will do up to 3 documents for £12.75.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/document-certification

Document certification: yes, although not Birth/Marriage/Death Certificates.

But ID1/ID2 must be countersigned by:

a. a solicitor/Licensed Conveyancer/Notary Public/Chartered Legal Executive;

b. certain senior members of UK Armed Forces, if the subject person is a serving officer overseas; or

c. an HMLR Officer.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

On 01/11/2022 at 21:29, Twitcher said:

I think £750 charge by solicitor  must include some conveyancing work.   

For countersigning ID1 form only , the countersigning party must see identify  you in person,  say  with passport , driving licence with photo , proof of residence for last 5 years ( council tax and utility bills )  

When I split with my former partner, I remortgaged and removed him from the deeds. We had to get his signature verified on the LR1 form. We went to Taylor Emmet in town who charged us a fiver to witness and verify. 

Post #5 correctly identifies the fixed fees payable for administering a Statutory Declaration.

Some firms charge the same for an ID1 or ID2 as for an SD.

Some charge much more!

Hi, has anyone got recommendation for this ID1 service that doesn't charge too much?  I've been quoted £200 + VAT!

Hi, has anyone got recommendation for this ID1 service that doesn't charge too much?  I've been quoted £200 + VAT!