Heeley Green Memories. Continue

I am originally from The Heeley Green..would like to share memories and friends 

Hi jdg. If you type in :-

Heeley Local History

you will find a list of Heeley History interested groups.

Ok Heartshome.

Thank you

Well obvious..no interest.

I actually lived on Heeley green, at the top close to Mary's drink shop..( next door to her was the Ball Inn). Then United's training ground.

Two cottages at the top, cobbled road, we lived in the first cottage ...

Field in front of us.

Short cut over to Derby st.

Back of us Myrtle road,  two hundred yards to our infant and junior school.. Heeley Bank school.  Aka Heeley Bank bucket bangers...

Edited by jdg

26 minutes ago, jdg said:

I actually lived on Heeley green, at the top close to Mary's drink shop..( next door to her was the Ball Inn). Then United's training ground.

Field in front of us.

Back of us Myrtle road,  two hundred yards to our infant and junior school.. Heeley Bank school.  Aka Heeley Bank bucket bangers...

Hia jdg. You sometimes have to wait a little while, as not everyone comes on here every day.

In the meantime, why not try going on the SHEFFIELD HISTORY FORUM, and put a post in

the SHEFFIELD HISTORY CHAT - ask a question?  -  members on there love to talk about

local area History, places and people. It's worth a try. Ok Heartshome.

Edited by Heartshome

I worked with a plumber called Henry Memmot, Memmot is an old Heeley name, I was only looking at a Sheffield Directory of 1787 and there was a Memmot living in Heeley way back then. History is still alive and well living in Heeley.

Edited by lazarus

Lazarus...yes apparently nemmot 83 percent of people with that name live in Yorkshire.

2 hours ago, Heartshome said:

Hia jdg. You sometimes have to wait a little while, as not everyone comes on here every day.

In the meantime, why not try going on the SHEFFIELD HISTORY FORUM, and put a post in

the SHEFFIELD HISTORY CHAT - ask a question?  -  members on there love to talk about

local area History, places and people. It's worth a try. Ok Heartshome.

Hearts home thank you for the advice 

My maternal great grandparents were residents in the latter quarter of the 19th century, even though they originate from Bath and Dublin respectfully. They were having kids from the latter days of Queen Victoria until circa 1920, being taken visiting family was a history lesson in itself, I recall Carfield Street, Richards Road and Slate Street often being mentioned.

I lived on Prospect Terrace from mid 50's until we were cleared out in the late 60's for the "Non existant" By pass. My Maternal Grandparents lived on ProspectRd, my Grandad being a regular in the Sheaf and my Paternal Grandparents lived on Cross Myrtle Rd, not far from the Ball Inn.

Edited by kevvy

15 hours ago, jdg said:

Field in front of us.

Might have helped to mention a particular time period.

I grew up  in Heeley, then lower Arbourthorne. Went to Anns Rd infants, then Heeley Bank.

(40's and 50's)

Knew Heeley Green very well in those days.

Edited by trastrick

I knew Heeley Green very well. We lived on Alexandra Road as did my grandparents Albert and Lily Norton next to George Bowers the milkman.

I went to Carfield Junior then secondary because we'd moved from Upper Valley Road Meersbrook when I was about 11 so I was able to continue with Carfield School.

On Upper Valley Road lived a Neil Memmott whose father was a plumber and I believe well known around the 60's.

I used to walk to Carfield School from Alexandra Road via Denmark Road, Bowler Street/Heeley Green, Carfield Road then Upper Albert Road every morning then back at lunch time and evening, no wonder I've got short legs!

I had an aunt and uncle who lived on Derby Street so I used to walk to their house via Heeley Green and the steep cobbled stone hill with a railing which was necessary in Winter, it was always iced over! My aunt and uncle were named Aspinall.

I had some relatives on Prospect Road who I never met named Goodison, I only came across their connection when I was doing family history research as my father was "adopted" out of the family, his biological mother was Ethel Goodison.

Quite a few kids from Arbouthorne came into Carfield School before Newfield Secondary was built so I knew a few from that area.

The area holds many happy memories for us. I haven't been back since 1970, I dare say it's nothing like it was in the 50's/60's so I wouldn't want to spoil those memories.

Regards,

Duffems

I lived there during 1950-60's...people get mixed up with Heeley Green..they sort of call HG where Talbot's, Chemist,Fishing shop, wet fish shop.But I lived on  the street named Heeley Green at the top.

Mr Langhorns sweet shop, etches fruit and veg shop and Cunliffes corner Shop

Another shop that was maroon  in colour from memory but I can't remember the name...Think the Parkins lived next door to that shop...

I went to Heeley Bank, then Newfield Girls and then off to Grange grammar.

Lynne Shaw was a close friend... Karen Hinchcliffe from Ball Inn pub...

And Andrea Turner...

I had three brothers Niel..Stephen and Wayne. A sister named Karen... our office was the old man's shelter and our phone was the one that stood outside the roundhouse..( Red phone box). 

Used to go on those awful club trips to Skeggy, Blackpool and Cleethorpes..

My father was a big fisherman and so was the Etches father and off we would go in their white transit van to Skeggy on a fishing and camping holiday..the kids just sat on  the equipment on the back of the van and four adults on the front.

We always had a good time..Bonfire night at the backs of the houses on Derby st...with Peter Keenan throwing bangers at every one and Rene screening at him to stop.Peters birthday I do remember being on the 5 Nov... .

I remember all the streets and short cuts around Heeley.. From Heeley Top to Heeley Bottom..

Easy to walk anywhere.

Winter...tin bath top of Heeley Green used also for a sledge..never understood the danger... Whitsun tide

New clothes and off to Meersbrook park.

The polish cobbler who when retired purchased Mary Taylor's White House at the top of Heeley Green.

From being nice Mr Poleskii think his name was ...turned into a nightmare with two vicious alsatian dogs...

Edited by jdg
Spelling