Is Eurovision Coming To Sheffield.

3 hours ago, MarkP1 said:

Who announced this?

Last time I checked the Eurovision is some form of 'entertainment' according to those in Brussels. Sheffield is still a (great!) city which happens to be n the United Kingdom.

Since the UK has left the EU, why would they want to host their event here? Doesn't make much sense to me.   

Nicola Sturgeon wants to host Eurovision in Glasgow on behalf of Great Britain, the very institution that she is intent on leaving. 

Just now, Baron99 said:

Nicola Sturgeon wants to host Eurovision in Glasgow on behalf of Great Britain, the very institution that she is intent on leaving. 

Let 'em have it, providing they don't expect Westminster to bail them out over the cost.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GinTreeS7 said:

They will still expect England to pay for it....

True - if it's that 'important' though, why doesn't the EBU finance it?

44 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

True - if it's that 'important' though, why doesn't the EBU finance it?

The ‘Big Five’ are the Participating Broadcasters from France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom - the group of countries who via their broadcasters make the biggest financial contribution towards the organisation of the Contest.

https://eurovision.tv/about/faq#:~:text=The Eurovision Song Contest is a non-profit event%2C mostly,shoulders carry the most weight.

So whether you like it or not, if you pay for a tv licence, that goes someway to making a financial contribution.   As I stated previously, according to a BBC report, next year will cost the BBC £8 million pounds which will have to be matched by the winning local authority. 

Edited by Baron99

6 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The ‘Big Five’ are the Participating Broadcasters from France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom - the group of countries who via their broadcasters make the biggest financial contribution towards the organisation of the Contest.

https://eurovision.tv/about/faq#:~:text=The Eurovision Song Contest is a non-profit event%2C mostly,shoulders carry the most weight.

So whether you like it or not, if you pay for a tv licence, that goes someway to making a financial contribution.   As I stated previously, according to a BBC report, next year will cost the BBC £8 million pounds which will have to be matched by the winning local authority. 

That will be good to see our local authority matching the BBC £8 million pounds. We supposed to have got no money where will it come from?.

8 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Understand that totally, but why does the chosen venue have to shoulder any of the cost?

10 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Understand that totally, but why does the chosen venue have to shoulder any of the cost?

As far as I can see it, a city, in our case SCC promotes itself as being able to put on the event & in conjunction with the national brocaster, the BBC says it will cover the costs incurred.  Of course, if Sheffield secured Eurovision, the council coffers would be down £8 million in council tax but having 40 odd foreign broadcasters here for the best part of 2 months, plus tens of thousands of visitors from the various nations for 2 or 3 week, it would be a massive profile boost for the city & the local hotels, restaurants & other hospitality in the city. 

What I'd like the know is, having SCC potentially spend £8 million of yours & mine council tax, what are we going to benefit from it?   All the extra profit going into shops, hotels, pubs local Air B & Bs, etc isn't suddenly going to be creamed off as some kind of local windfall tax & be collected by SCC is it & used to finance local services? 

Don't get me wrong, Anything that brings a massive boost to this city is welcome but don't dress it up as something that will benefit us locals, once the circus has left town. 

Maybe this bid for Eurovision is Ms Josephs first big act as  SCC's  Chief Executive? 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1

@Baron99I see our point, and looking at it that way, it does sound like reasonable idea, but I wouldn't put it past our wonderful council to try something like your last paragraph - after all they did 'pay' for it all in the first place - didn't they?

11 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Don't get me wrong, Anything that brings a massive boost to this city is welcome but don't dress it up as something that will benefit us locals, once the circus has left town.  

To be honest, just being on the shortlisted seven and being part of the whole conversation is a pretty nice dollop of free(ish) publicity. Various Eurovision twitter accounts tweeting out the name, profiling the cities, the media articles (see The Times article a few days ago). It's not going to harm Sheffield, so why not be part of that?

Actually getting the gig and paying for it? Yeah, that might not end up with net benefit, but I'd have to say it's hard to quantify what events like this can do for a city's economy since the impacts tend to be so indirect and medium/long-term that they're hard to link back to one previous event. It's all just about raising and improving the profile of the city.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

As far as I can see it, a city, in our case SCC promotes itself as being able to put on the event & in conjunction with the national brocaster, the BBC says it will cover the costs incurred.  Of course, if Sheffield secured Eurovision, the council coffers would be down £8 million in council tax but having 40 odd foreign broadcasters here for the best part of 2 months, plus tens of thousands of visitors from the various nations for 2 or 3 week, it would be a massive profile boost for the city & the local hotels, restaurants & other hospitality in the city. 

What I'd like the know is, having SCC potentially spend £8 million of yours & mine council tax, what are we going to benefit from it?   All the extra profit going into shops, hotels, pubs local Air B & Bs, etc isn't suddenly going to be creamed off as some kind of local windfall tax & be collected by SCC is it & used to finance local services? 

Maybe this bid for Eurovision is Ms Josephs first big act as  SCC's  Chief Executive? 

Last sentence.  Not bad for eight months work 

They have axed critical bus routes to the hospitals such as the circular 10 and 10a buses , and now they want to pay for Eurovision instead?