Sky Broadband Issues Recently In S8

Hi 

Over the last few weeks have been having problems with Sky.

Basically the speed is very intermittent and it can take ages to connect to sights but its vert intermittent sometimes its fine.

It sometimes comes up with DNS fault.

Have tried all the usual things reset the router ect.

On tests it show speed is fine when it does connect.

Any ideas? thanks in advance.

Yes - report a fault to SKY.

That's odd - Virgin are reporting work being carried out in S8 shortly - presumably to fix faults users have regularly reported going back years.  I can't understand why both Sky and Virgin are having problems in S8 at the same time though.

Guest busdriver1
12 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

That's odd - Virgin are reporting work being carried out in S8 shortly - presumably to fix faults users have regularly reported going back years.  I can't understand why both Sky and Virgin are having problems in S8 at the same time though.

Maybe they use the same cables like most do

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Most likely @Thirsty Relic- but they are upgrading the whole of their network as well.

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Maybe they use the same cables like most do

Nope - the Virgin network is their own and totally separate from SKY who use the BT network.

Indeed...I dont live in a Virgin cabled area and I cant get any of their services now, they used to offer a normal fibre product for those not in a cabled area but seems they dont do this anymore.

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Nope - the Virgin network is their own and totally separate from SKY who use the BT network.

OK just a thought. 

Edited by busdriver1

2 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

OK just a thought. 

No  worries, you know more about the PSV industry than I do - always grateful for your useful input - but I've been interested in IT for close on 50 years, so I kind of like to offer advice where I can.

as an aside, notice that @Fudbeerhasn't been back.

what was the dns fault.

You could try changing dns servers temporarily (on router or pc) to rule it out, or use some diagnostic or browser tools to isolate the delay.

(if you're not familiar, dns translates a web address (name) into an internet address (number), so it is the initial connection when you try to go to a website.) If you go to the same address a few seconds later, and it is now speedy, it may point to a slow dns server response, as the answer is cached for subsequent visits.

Edited by fools

my internet is awfull in s8 ,been like it for years

Thanks for replies.

Have tried changing dns but makes no difference.

Have been on sky diagnostic site and it says everything ok.

Will log with Sky if it continues gut feel is they are doing something with the line as has always been ok in the past.

When I last logged an issue with them spent ages doing things at my end that made no difference only to be told a few days later there was an issue at the exchange!

3 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

Thanks for replies.

Have tried changing dns but makes no difference.

Have been on sky diagnostic site and it says everything ok.

Will log with Sky if it continues gut feel is they are doing something with the line as has always been ok in the past.

When I last logged an issue with them spent ages doing things at my end that made no difference only to be told a few days later there was an issue at the exchange!

One of the many reasons I wouldn't touch SKY with an extended bargepole - they are useless when it comes to fault fixing.

Personally, I would log a fault and get them to sort it - if they are capable.