Free Gas And Electric ! for some.

Guest sibon
29 minutes ago, fools said:

How do you propose to set the price that a foreign supplier of lpg/gas/oil wants for their product? How do you propose to make a foreign power pump more gas down a pipeline to a foreign country who has shutdown all their nuclear power stations.

This year’s gas is already bought.

I’m suggesting that the government will impress upon Shell/BP etc the need to take a lower profit.

Of course, we could always let them rack up £11bn in profit and tax that at 100%.  

Or we could all clap on a Thursday night for the dead poor people.

What is your solution?

Producers profits are already taxed at a higher rate. There is scope to tax excessive profits, and use that to reduce everyone's bill, a much fairer system than ni/tax cuts proposed by the future pm, but it ignores where the money is going, it's not just uk firms.

This is a worldwide problem, if there was an easy solution, it would have been implemented. I'm sceptical about it being demand led.

UK based mining companies aren't the only ones setting the price, it's naive to just think tell a couple of companies to lower the price and everything will be ok, there's global politics going on and a global market for fuel.

There are many things that can be done to save energy, that can (and should) be implemented, but in the end it's futile, because the commodity price will just go up higher ... as evidenced by all the loft insulation and cfl/led lightbulbs that were going to save us money.

vat on fuel/green policies should be gone on day one of the new pm, but it could just end up pushing prices up further. The ineptitude of organisations responsible for oversight needs addressing,

Edited by fools

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, fools said:

Producers profits are already taxed at a higher rate. There is scope to tax excessive profits, and use that to reduce everyone's bill, a much fairer system than ni/tax cuts proposed by the future pm, but it ignores where the money is going, it's not just uk firms.

This is a worldwide problem, if there was an easy solution, it would have been implemented.

UK based mining companies aren't the only ones setting the price, it's naive to just think tell a couple of companies to lower the price and everything will be ok, there's global politics going on and a global market for fuel.

There are many things that can be done to save energy, that can (and should) be implemented, but in the end it's futile, because the commodity price will just go up higher ... as evidenced by all the loft insulation and cfl/led lightbulbs that were going to save us money.

vat on fuel/green policies should be gone on day one of the new pm, but it could just end up pushing prices up further.

It isn’t a worldwide problem though. It is a western problem,  caused by feckless politicians and flawed energy policies.

The French have it sorted, at least for now. We could too. There is no justification for the profits we are seeing in the energy industry at the moment. They aren’t acceptable and won’t be accepted.

Either governments act, or people will. Can’t pay, won’t pay is an old slogan which is about to be repurposed.

1 hour ago, sibon said:

It is similar to the way that the poll tax was defeated. I know you liked it, but that was an iniquitous tax. It was civil disobedience, rather than civil unrest that did for that. I’ll tell you my summons for non payment story one day. It is interesting.

If people pay what they paid last year and no more, I think it would give the energy companies a huge problem. They are clearly profiteering, so I think plenty of people would join in.

Let’s see, shall we. My money is on it not getting to that stage.

1 hour ago, sibon said:

It is similar to the way that the poll tax was defeated. I know you liked it, but that was an iniquitous tax. It was civil disobedience, rather than civil unrest that did for that. I’ll tell you my summons for non payment story one day. It is interesting.

If people pay what they paid last year and no more, I think it would give the energy companies a huge problem. They are clearly profiteering, so I think plenty of people would join in.

Let’s see, shall we. My money is on it not getting to that stage.

Isnt it the main supplier who the likes of Octopus buy from, who are making huge profits, Shell/BP, etc

12 minutes ago, sibon said:

It isn’t a worldwide problem though. It is a western problem,  caused by feckless politicians and flawed energy policies.

The French have it sorted, at least for now. We could too. There is no justification for the profits we are seeing in the energy industry at the moment. They aren’t acceptable and won’t be accepted.

Either governments act, or people will. Can’t pay, won’t pay is an old slogan which is about to be repurposed.

👆 This.

You know sommert, I don't want to depress you but I have to say I'm really beginning to like you 👍

19 minutes ago, sibon said:

The French have it sorted, at least for now. We could too.

.... Riots in Sri Lanka, inflation 60%+, Zimbabwe 130%

Moving everything into public ownership and onto general taxation is hardly a solution, it just obfuscates the problem. Half the French reactors are shutdown, so they are having to buy electricity from us.

Edited by fools

Guest sibon
2 minutes ago, fools said:

.... Riots in Sri Lanka, inflation 60%+

Moving everything into public ownership and onto general taxation is hardly a solution, it just obfuscates the problem. Half the French reactors are shutdown, so they are having to buy electricity from us.

There is no need to move anything into public ownership. Although I think that would be a fine idea.

Let’s just  tell the big energy companies to stop the rip off. 

That’s all that is needed . It is a rip off. a seven year old could see that.

If not, people will die because of the rip off. This winter.

I notice that you have only offered excuses for the rip off, no solutions.

You've only offered year 10 politics.

I've explained quite clearly why it is more complicated than that. They aren't excuses, I'm affected like everyone else

Edited by fools

Guest sibon
4 minutes ago, fools said:

You've only offered year 10 politics.

Not so.

What is your solution. Plenty of folk can’t pay these bills.

What is the answer? 

Pay rises all round? Bit of a Mick Lynch fan?

Edited by sibon

This is like a child asking their dad why they can't have an xbox for xmas. You want some father xmas to come and magic away all life's problems.

Edited by fools

Guest sibon
4 minutes ago, fools said:

This is like a child asking their dad why they can't have an xbox for xmas. You want some father xmas come and magic away all life's problems.

No. I want to know how people can pay astronomical bills, without increased wages, whilst some companies make billions.

I say tax them mercilessly and give it back to the consumers. Or support a campaign of civil disobedience.

What do you say?

Edited by sibon

Go back and read it properly, and you'll see.