Free Gas And Electric ! for some.

According to a recent T.V news bulletin hundreds of people were now cancelling their direct debits with energy companies because they can't afford the payments. As both the government and the energy companies have promised no cut offs perhaps this is something everybody should do. If we all cancel after our next D.D at leat we'll all get at least a months free energy  before the companies start screaming . We still won't be able to pay but at least the energy companies will have lost something and this useless government might take the proplem more seriosly than they are doing now, and give people some proper help.

1 minute ago, ivan edake said:

According to a recent T.V news bulletin hundreds of people were now cancelling their direct debits with energy companies because they can't afford the payments. As both the government and the energy companies have promised no cut offs perhaps this is something everybody should do. If we all cancel after our next D.D at leat we'll all get at least a months free energy  before the companies start screaming . We still won't be able to pay but at least the energy companies will have lost something and this useless government might take the proplem more seriosly than they are doing now, and give people some proper help.

I canceled my DD and I pay the bill monthly by card. Last month's bill was ridiculous but I paid it. This month I'm paying only what I can afford.

They can swivel for the rest.

Well done DADDY  I've started by not paying my TV licence, energy D.D  to be cancelled on Wednesday after my last payment on a low price 2 year deal.

Edited by ivan edake
word missed out
  • Thanks 1

I think that if you get too far behind with payments they can make you have a prepayment meter installed?

Which costs even more. 

9 minutes ago, Gormenghast said:

I think that if you get too far behind with payments they can make you have a prepayment meter installed?

Which costs even more. 

It is disgusting that people on prepayment meters have to pay more for their energy :

1 - They are often the least well off

2 - If the suppliers are getting paid up front it should be cheaper, not more expensive.

I always thought the energy price cap was a gimmick, what the government should be doing to forcing energy companies to charge prepayment metered energy at the same price as DD paid.

35 minutes ago, ivan edake said:

All those proclaiming a climate emergency and wanting nett zero at any cost ASAP should be honest with people, energy will be very expensive because price is the only lever the government has to lower demand. That's just a fact. So for nett zero get used to massive price rises. It will only be the rich who will have warm houses, cars and foreign holidays. Poorer people will have to make do with Skegness (c/w inconvenient public conveniences, 40p payable only with a contactless card ! ), and by train, bus or coach.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Haha 1

Some of the energy companies are doing their best to get customers money, on a FB group I am in there are some right stories about DD's being increased by silly amounts.

Edited by iansheff

Guest sibon
2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

It is disgusting that people on prepayment meters have to pay more for their energy :

1 - They are often the least well off

2 - If the suppliers are getting paid up front it should be cheaper, not more expensive.

I always thought the energy price cap was a gimmick, what the government should be doing to forcing energy companies to charge prepayment metered energy at the same price as DD paid.

I agree entirely.

In fact, if anything, prepaying should earn a discount as there is no risk of default. 

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

All those proclaiming a climate emergency and wanting nett zero at any cost ASAP should be honest with people, energy will be very expensive because price is the only lever the government has to lower demand. That's just a fact. So for nett zero get used to massive price rises. It will only be the rich who will have warm houses, cars and foreign holidays. Poorer people will have to make do with Skegness (c/w inconvenient public conveniences, 40p payable only with a contactless card ! ), and by train, bus or coach.

And you were doing so well until this bit😁

Edited by sibon

Not very often I agree with you but your second sentence  spot on :thumbsup:

26 minutes ago, sibon said:

I agree entirely.

In fact, if anything, prepaying should earn a discount as there is no risk of default. 

And you were doing so well until this bit😁

Edited by hackey lad

Guest sibon
12 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Not very often I agree with you but your second sentence  spot on :thumbsup:

You have to get some things right Hacks😁

Incredibly, only one person has touched on the stupidity of this idea.

Not paying your bills on time has consequences.

What next, steal food from shops.

Just now, sibon said:

You have to get some things right Hacks😁

So do you , sometimes 

Just now, fools said:

Incredibly, only one person has touched on the stupidity of this idea.

Not paying your bills on time has consequences.

What next, steal food from shops.

Theft of low value basic items has apparently increased a lot recently.