E.F.L. Allowing 5 Subs.

Don't know what other people think about 5 subs being allowed this season but I think it's a mistake. It is going to encourage even more time wasting near the end of games. I saw a couple of examples  on Saturday with Portsmouth bringing one sub on and less than a minute later stopped the game again to bring on their last sub. I think all teams will use this at some time during the season ( some more than others). The days when 2 or 3 minutes added on at the end will be long gone. It's going to be 8, 9. 10 or even more.

Guest sibon

The time wasting on Saturday was due to the life threatening  injury suffered by their keeper. 

That physio deserves a bonus for fixing him back up

i say if it can be used to the teams advantage  do it,as everyone else will

A couple of years ago the refs wanted a ban on substitutions during time added on at the end of each half. The managers protested and it was no implemented.

1 hour ago, Cyclecar said:

A couple of years ago the refs wanted a ban on substitutions during time added on at the end of each half. The managers protested and it was no implemented.

I didn’t know that. Now that we’re stuck with five subs its time might have come.
First half subs are nearly always for injury and are hardly ever made in added time. Subs in second half added time are made not so much to waste time but to frustrate the opposition when the pressure is on. Ok when your team is winning but…you know the rest.

It is the next step towards the Americanisation of football (soccer).

In this case, the first step to rotating players unlimited - similar to Ice Hockey and Basketball etc.

We are already using 3 letter abbreviations - EPL  - English Premier League EFL, SPL etc

Just the same as NFL, MLB, (major league baseball), NHL National Hockey League.

• Like 1

As with most of the issues in the modern game, it's the ref who needs to take control and have the sphericals to punish anyone taking the proverbial.

Like with players being subbed and taking their time leaving the pitch - give 'em 10 seconds and then card them. Same when players crowd the ref - say you're going to card everyone if they don't move away, and then do it if they don't!

Refs barely even blow for a foul throw, these days, which bugs me as it's one of the easiest things to spot (unless they've changed those rules, too?). If they can't spot that, it makes me question what they can see.

Another is the one where they almost force players to dive by not blowing when a player is being man-handled and only wait for him to go down... at which point there's no longer contact and it looks like he's dived.

Refs just need to grow a pair and may of the bad things will be sorted!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, leviathan13 said:

Like with players being subbed and taking their time leaving the pitch - give 'em 10 seconds and then card them.

That will come next. (Another Americanisation...)

On holiday a few years ago, we went to a baseball game. Major league baseball is obviously driven by  adverts on TV.

When there is a break in play, there is a big clock counting down showing time until the game must restart.

Delaying is some kind of penalty, whatever the equivalent of a yellow card is.