Supertram Conductor 'Abused And Punched In Back Of Head'

49 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

No I am not blaming the staff at all it is the management I am blaming for the culture of the company but there is no excuse for the regular early  departures just as there is no excuse for the driver deliberately ignore a passenger running towards his /her tram and closing the doors in front of them

Airing these grievances on this particular thread - rather than one actually meant for Stagecoach gripes - isn't exactly a great look. You basically look like you're condoning physical abuse of tram conductors. That's never acceptable, and no amount of frustration with timetables or cancelled services changes that...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Airing these grievances on this particular thread - rather than one actually meant for Stagecoach gripes - isn't exactly a great look. You basically look like you're condoning physical abuse of tram conductors. That's never acceptable, and no amount of frustration with timetables or cancelled services changes that...

Did you not read my original post in full I clearly stated that I was not in any way condoning the attack  "disgusting they should be banned from all public transport for life "

36 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Did you not read my original post in full I clearly stated that I was not in any way condoning the attack  "disgusting they should be banned from all public transport for life "

That's irrelevant, if in the very next sentence you basically say 'but they had it coming because their employer upsets me now and again'.

2 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

very common to see them leave 2 minutes early and have even seen them leaving 3 minutes early I have complained to Stagecoach with the specific examples but they tell me they are not concerned and that the timetable is not a timetable it is a guide. As someone who catches the tram from Middlewood it is very annoying when you know the time of the tram and are walking to the stop knowing you have 2plus minutes before it is to leave to have the doors shut in front of you and the tram pull out . With the new timetable it is common to see the tram arriving at Middlewood early and have to wait for the previous tram to leave

No I am not blaming the staff at all it is the management I am blaming for the culture of the company but there is no excuse for the regular early  departures just as there is no excuse for the driver deliberately ignore a passenger running towards his /her tram and closing the doors in front of them

So you're late for the service and yet it's the operator's fault?

2 minutes before departure and you're STILL only just heading to the platform. If you're running towards the tram at it's departure time then YOU missed the service as I said previously. If buses and trams sat and waited for everyone who was late then the whole service would be late then you'd moan about it being late. 

Do you arrive at the train station and expect the departing train to wait for you because you got to the entrance at the time of departure? 
Do you arrive at the airport and expect them to hold the gate open.?

The simple matter is that it's not a 'company culture' issue at all, which is why it's dismissed by them. It's a YOU problem. YOU are late. YOU missed the service and YOU have an entitled belief that they should run to your schedule because YOU poorly manage your time. YOU have been informed that times are a guideline yet YOU insist on being tardy. 

I would suggest this regular "2 minutes early" is acutally 'on-time' departures and the 2 minutes is a difference between your timepiece and theirs & guess what, they run to theirs. 

And before that thought that I work for Stagecoach appears at the end of your keyboard, I do not, nor have I ever worked for Stagecoach or any of it's sister/subsidiaries. 

• Thanks 1

Resident. Buses and trams work to different criteria than trains and planes.

Train companies will shut the doors usually between 30 and 45 seconds before departure (barriers/gates at terminals may close earlier to give passengers time to get to the train before the doors shut such as at St Pancras where the barriers are shut 2 minutes before departure. 

You may also have missed the fact that there are clear rules for buses on the subject and drivers get into trouble for breaching this.

“The Traffic Commissioners Guidelines state that a bus is permitted to leave up to 1 minute early from an official timing point”

My timepiece is accurate thanks and in addition you may have missed the fact that the dot matrix has a clock, the only accurate real time information on the dot matrix usually. Indeed arriving just in time for the tram is in fact managing my time clearly we live in different worlds.

two minutes before a bus or tram is not late and  certainly I would turn up at a major station a bit earlier(although when I was living in SE London i would turn up at the station a minute before departure knowing that I would not miss the train). Hanging around in the cold and wet waiting for the tram is hardly much fun when I know exactly how long it takes me to get to the tram stop although with the new timetable we now have the luxury of being able to sit on the tram as it has an 11 minute layover at Middlewood.

no I did not think you have or do work for stagecoach or indeed in the transport sector.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

Resident. Buses and trams work to different criteria than trains and planes.

Train companies will shut the doors usually between 30 and 45 seconds before departure (barriers/gates at terminals may close earlier to give passengers time to get to the train before the doors shut such as at St Pancras where the barriers are shut 2 minutes before departure. 

You may also have missed the fact that there are clear rules for buses on the subject and drivers get into trouble for breaching this.

“The Traffic Commissioners Guidelines state that a bus is permitted to leave up to 1 minute early from an official timing point”

My timepiece is accurate thanks and in addition you may have missed the fact that the dot matrix has a clock, the only accurate real time information on the dot matrix usually. Indeed arriving just in time for the tram is in fact managing my time clearly we live in different worlds.

two minutes before a bus or tram is not late and  certainly I would turn up at a major station a bit earlier(although when I was living in SE London i would turn up at the station a minute before departure knowing that I would not miss the train). Hanging around in the cold and wet waiting for the tram is hardly much fun when I know exactly how long it takes me to get to the tram stop although with the new timetable we now have the luxury of being able to sit on the tram as it has an 11 minute layover at Middlewood.

no I did not think you have or do work for stagecoach or indeed in the transport sector.

Different criteria yes, same basic principle. Arrive in plenty of time before the departure. A principle that seemingly you're unable to grasp. 

I haven't missed the TC's guidelines. They're not relevant to the tram network, TC doesn't have any authority for light rail. 

You're quite correct that the PTE controlled signage has a clock. Again variances can play a part here. In fact that's why TC guidelines allow the 1 minute early running for buses, to give a cushion in those variances. 

Oh for goodness sake 

please take your petty arguments some thread elsewhere and leave everyone else to get on with hanging these two scutters! 
zzzzzzzzzx!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Man in Crete said:

Oh for goodness sake 

please take your petty arguments some thread elsewhere and leave everyone else to get on with hanging these two scutters! 
zzzzzzzzzx!

Scutters, lol . Not heard that word used in years :hihi:

Guest busdriver1
6 hours ago, Resident said:

Different criteria yes, same basic principle. Arrive in plenty of time before the departure. A principle that seemingly you're unable to grasp. 

I haven't missed the TC's guidelines. They're not relevant to the tram network, TC doesn't have any authority for light rail. 

You're quite correct that the PTE controlled signage has a clock. Again variances can play a part here. In fact that's why TC guidelines allow the 1 minute early running for buses, to give a cushion in those variances. 

Every clock run by the PTE has actually been set 1 minute out and this causes chaos for the "just in time" passengers who get regular views of bus rears. All because they can not afford to wait for 2 minutes. The clocks on the First ticket machines are accurate to the second. Not sure about the out of date machines Stagecoach use.

and reading all the post here and you wonder y the public transport industry has no staff...........all i see apart from a few posts is ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK, 13 drivers at our depot left last week, Stagecoach was in star last Saturday calming staff sickness for the amount of buses missing, well thats was a lie only 1 person called in sick that day and there was over 30 cancelled journeys

I was spat at the other day and walked out taking a few days off to consider my options, sorry to say but we had a few drivers on loan and they said Sheffield has some of the most vile passenger's going and one of the drivers was from London and he said it was a joke they way u are treated here, yea the is issues everywhere but u will have a bigger issue when there no bus/tram driver or conductor to attack physically or verbally

Keep up the good work soon you will have virtually no pubic transport, Well played people,

• Like 1

On 09/06/2022 at 12:33, BigAl1 said:

disgusting they should be banned from all public transport for life

but if Stagecoach  supertram want us to respect their staff then perhaps Stagecoach supertram might just treat their customers with respect.

Stop endorsing the early departure of their trams, persuade the PTE to display accurate info on their dot matrix, stop closing the doors on passengers, properly coordinate the tramlink service for a start arrange tram replacement services when no trams and proper information

but if Stagecoach  supertram want us to respect their staff then perhaps Stagecoach supertram might just treat their customers with respect.

Lets replace the word staff with someone's family member Mum Dad Son Daughter so on but they don't deserve respect cuz they leave early from what u say can u show me evidence of whats on there running board the stops are the pte so if they don't marry up well that's again is people earning more money than the people u abuse or think its acceptable they are attacked just cuz you think they leave early all the time, 

Have to remember as staff we have no choice in some things u dont like thats for the people in the ivory tower that earn stupid money and have never drove a tram or bus in sheffield ever, but when we stood up agaist them as drivers in strake action we was attacked, 

Guest busdriver1
22 minutes ago, driver151 said:

Lets replace the word staff with someone's family member Mum Dad Son Daughter so on but they don't deserve respect cuz they leave early from what u say can u show me evidence of whats on there running board the stops are the pte so if they don't marry up well that's again is people earning more money than the people u abuse or think its acceptable they are attacked just cuz you think they leave early all the time, 

Have to remember as staff we have no choice in some things u dont like thats for the people in the ivory tower that earn stupid money and have never drove a tram or bus in sheffield ever, but when we stood up agaist them as drivers in strake action we was attacked, 

You are wasting your time with some folks. THEY are right despite any evidence to the contrary and will continue to turn up at departure time and expect the tram / bus to be there waiting for them because THEY alone are important and nobody else is. 

Like you say, it is a Sheffield problem like it or not and people wonder why they are short of drivers. 

It has been pointed out on numerous occasions that the tracking information provided by the PTE is inaccurate a lot of the time but people still quote it in their arguments. Service changes have to be updated on the tracker database and that takes time so until it is done it is wrong. Please can the public try and understand that. There are other trackers available (mostly from the operators) that are accurate and even let you know how busy a bus is. All useful information but people still insist on using the stone age PTE system. 

Maybe people just like to complain, that so far has been my impression of the Sheffield public.