Quran and Modern Science - Conflict or Conciliation?

Its no secret that religion and science dont coincide right?

Recently i have been doing research into what the Bible and Qu'ran preach.

I came along this video which basically says the Qu'ran DOES NOT conflict with ESTABLISHED modern science. So i thought id post up the videos and hopefully get experienced forumers opinions on the matter.

Quran and Modern Science - Conflict or Conciliation Part 1

Quran and Modern Science - Conflict or Conciliation Part 2

Well if you've seen the video im very greatful, what do you think of them?

If this isnt the word of God, how has it predicted so much things? If you dont think its the word of God, how do you think the Qu'ran was written?

Please stay on topic of religion and science, rather than a debate between sharia law and this countries laws.

I look forward to your posts thanks in advanced.

OK , well that first video is over 90 minutes long and appears to simply be a televised recording of the Islamic Research Foundation conference or summit.

The 'science' (not the signs) that the main speaker is talking about were already well established truths by the time of Mohammed. That the Koran can codify existing discoveries isn't rocket science, it's writing up other peoples ideas as if they were divinely inspired.

The most amusing bit is when he does his 'Koran Quotation Solo' on the motion of celestial bodies. People even clap - like a Jazz solo. It reminds me of a passage in "The Futurological Congress" by Stan Lem, where speakers merely quote paragraph references at each other in a strange meta-discourse that is completely impenetrable.

....The 'science' (not the signs) that the main speaker is talking about were already well established truths by the time of Mohammed. That the Koran can codify existing discoveries isn't rocket science, it's writing up other peoples ideas as if they were divinely inspired.....

Quite true Phan.

One claim that particularly winds me up is that of Muhammeds 'revelation' of embryological development.

The Qur'an is merely repeating the teaching of the enormously influential Greek physician Galen. It is clearly plagiarising ancient Greek literature!

The account of the different stages in embryology as described by the Qur'an, ar-Razi and al-Quff is identical to that taught by Galen, writing in around AD 150 in Pergamum (Bergama in modern Turkey). Galen taught that the embryo developed in four stages.

This would have been pretty widespread knowledge 400 years later.

So to answer your original question Pink ninja, 'NO!' It doesn't convince me one iota.

You said the source of that information wasn't accurate, I'm merely pointing out that that source is the Hadith itself.

There are lots of conflictions in Islam in general. According to the Hadith mohammad was a pedophile :suspect: however most muslims seem to attempt to deny this, possibly to avoid bringing up the fact Islamic law allows underage brides, oops :)

I said this was inaccurate.

Now would you like to comment on Muhammed 'marrying' a six year old??

Apart from non muslims believe the marriage was consumated before puberty and muslims dont what more to say kaycee.

Now would you like to comment on Muhammed 'marrying' a six year old??

This is where Islam falls apart a bit and why most muslims don't shout about this fact. If Muhammed was indeed a criminal pedophile, does that make him suitable for a prophet?

This is where Islam falls apart a bit and why most muslims don't shout about this fact. If Muhammed was indeed a criminal pedophile, does that make him suitable for a prophet?

If he was indeed as you say then he would not have been chosen as the final prophet and the Final Revelations would not have been revealed to him.

Most of the prophet’s marriages were for political reasons as those who have read the hadiths would know.

If he was as you say then why wait years after the marriage to consummate it?