Find Me A Steel Ruler

I believe Riley's sold out a few years ago. It is now Sheffield Tolling company Ltd. Tel 0114 2434703.

Good luck

I’ve not done the junk shop run since COVID started, however this might have kick started something, if I find anything I’ll contact the OP.

A Steel Ruler, Kier Starmer springs to mind. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

A Steel Ruler, Kier Starmer springs to mind. :thumbsup:

Full plastic  , more like 

On 07/05/2022 at 08:17, Hecate said:

I need recommendations for a good quality, 30 cm steel ruler. 

There are plenty to be found, but a look at the reviews suggests that they're mostly of rubbish quality (thin, warped, wobbly, very sharp edges, chunks missing, scale truncated by poor finishing etc etc etc).  

Everyone I've asked seems to have had one in a their tool box for thirty years, or inherited one from a relative who had it in their tool box for thirty years.  Surely steel rulers are not all cheap crap nowadays.

Have you tried Screwfix online or pop down to their store on Charlotte Rd. 

On 07/05/2022 at 15:48, horribleblob said:

No help to you I’m afraid, Hecate – apart from another product endorsment – but I have a 304mm (yes), 45-year-old Rabone Chesterman 477R (conversion typescale: mm to 8pt/ 10pt/12pt) that I still use and it looks like new.

Rustless chrome face. Not warped or wobbly. Sharp edges yes, but softened slightly by years of use and no impact on the scale markings.

I have definite ruler envy. 

I thought I'd be able to say 'I'll have one of your finest steel rulers, my good man', hand over the cash and I'd be measuring and cutting the next day.  But apparently not. 

On 07/05/2022 at 19:29, RJRB said:

Not so much for measuring hot metal ,but used in wooden pattern making to allow for the contraction of the hot metal as it cools.

If you continue to have problems I will call in at Riley’s and see what they have .

Just PM me.

Ah, that makes much more sense.  And thank you.  I've sent you a PM.

Edited by Guest

On 07/05/2022 at 20:07, Kidorry said:

I have got a Chesterman 332D. It needs cleaning but is not damaged in any way, you can have that if you want it. It is not in metric.

Thank you, Kidorry.  I've sent you a PM.

11 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Have you tried Screwfix online or pop down to their store on Charlotte Rd. 

I had not, but I've just looked online it looks like they have a serviceable ruler that I could use in the interim.  Of the big stores I'd tried B&Q (out of stock) and Wickes (only aluminium rulers). 

Edited by Guest

Many, many thanks for all the interesting information and kind offers of help posted in this thread.  Sheffield Forum as it's meant to be.

I had an unexpected sadness researching this.  So much quality work, history and personal stories lost under a tidal wave of cheap, mass-produced crap. 

My 3 Chestermans (150mm, 300mm and a folding 600mm) have been in my toolbox since I was an apprentice 30 years ago, and still look as good as new. Wouldn't have a clue where to get one new from nowadays, but stuff like that turns up second hand on ebay quite often.