Psoriasis

Tipstaff

Unfortunately yes, I've gone through a LOT of treatments - many different steroid creams (found Enstilar the best), light therapy (hospital 3x a week, all I got was a tan), currently on immunosuppressants which has pretty much treated it but not ideal to be on these long term - I'm on Ciclosporin.  

• Thanks 1

Yes, I've had this for years and have also gone through the whole range of creams, light treatment etc. without any long term success until i was prescribed Acitretin by a consultant at the Hallamshire hospital.

It comes in capsule form and I take it daily. Since starting this treatment my psoriasis has almost disappeared. It has definitely been the best treatment I've had.

BUT, there are potential side effects, There are warnings in the packaging about exposure to sunlight and the potential for it to harm an unborn baby amongst other things.

I have to be monitored through regular three-monthly blood tests and dermatologist consultations. 

Hope this is of some use.

• Thanks 1

I've had it for years, started in my early thirties. Would'nt wish it on my worst enemy, it's a horrible condition but I don't get it as bad as in the early years. I've tried all the creams, steroids, puva light etc but nothing really cures it, not for long anyway.  These days I try not to worry about it too much and just use the occasional dab of Calcipotriol around the eyes and ears when it flares up, and Diprobase moisturiser cream on a large patch on my lower back. The Enstillar spray worked ok but I think the doctors are reluctant to dole it out as its around £100 a tin.

Alcohol does seem to make it worse too as does sugar although I've cut out most sugar.

• 5 months later...