Compulsory Vaccination?

Compulsory Vaccination?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is it morally acceptable for a country to make covid vaccination compulsory for the general population?

• Yes, in some countries the situation in sufficiently bad that this can reasonably be considered.
    • No, while compulsory mass vaccination is not morally wrong under all circumstances, it is wrong for covid at this time.
    • No, compulsory mass vaccination is always wrong.

1 hour ago, Carbuncle said:

You have repeatedly indicated that you have expertise in this area and continually demonstrated that you do not.

1. Surgical masks are warn to prevent/ reduce movement of pathogens from the surgeon to the patient.

2. The masks that surgeons and theatre staff (mostly) wear to operate do not require fit testing or fit checking because they are not expected to  form an air tight seal to the face.

3. Surgical masks are cheap and readily available.

You are completely missing the point here. We are not discussing mask efficacy, that' s been done to death and I cannot be bothered to restart tat argument. We are discussing the fact that having to wear a mask all day will put people off wanting to work somewhere that is mandated because nobody likes wearing a mask (though I accept that some people hate it more than others). That is just obvious.

You got all these things wrong ... because you do not in fact understand masks or how they work despite all your claims.

The FFP2 and FFP3 are standards are for masks warn as personal protective equipment (PPE). Surgeons generally do not wear masks as a form of PPE since the risk which is being mitigated is not to the surgeon but to the person being operated on. The FFP2 and FFP3 standards offer no guarantees as to protection for anybody other than the wearer. Many (most?) FFP2s and FFP3s use a valve on the exhale. Ones exhale is very moist and it is better not to feed this through a filter if it is not required.

FFP3 masks can protect the user, and that fact is not advertised by mask enthusiasts because if the mask protects the user then the argument for mandating them on everyone falls away.  Cynical, but undoubtedly true.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-face-mask-face-shield-ffp2-n95-kn95-whats-the-difference/a-52291265

Why do you as covid sceptics so frequently repeat misinformation?

Who is a Covid sceptic ? Why would I have got vaccinated if I didn't believe Covid existed ? You are spreading disinformation calling me something which I quite plainly am not. You should apologise.

On the other hand I think the attempts to change society in very damaging ways for a virus which (even before vaccines) over 99% of people were surviving an infection  of- and the average age of death was about 83 - is the biggest over reaction in the history of the world. And anyone who actually knows much about history would confirm that.

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Who is a Covid sceptic ? Why would I have got vaccinated if I didn't believe Covid existed ? You are spreading disinformation calling me something which I quite plainly am not. You should apologise.

More ridiculousness. As usual you want to tell me what I think/ mean. Why should I apologise for the (extreme) interpretation you put on the term 'covid sceptic'? It's not even rude why are you pretending to take offence?

Now what about you? Why are you spreading misinformation?

5 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

More ridiculousness. As usual you want to tell me what I think/ mean. Why should I apologise for the (extreme) interpretation you put on the term 'covid sceptic'? It's not even rude why are you pretending to take offence?

Now what about you? Why are you spreading misinformation?

As I said before , something suspicious about a poster , that only posts on one subject 

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

As I said before , something suspicious about a poster , that only posts on one subject 

I personally don't have a problem with that. For what it's worth he was on Sheffield Forum posting about covid around the beginning of the pandemic in the UK and got banned. I think he is a genuine person rather than for example somebody from a Russian troll factory. The problem I have is the fact he is spamming us with misinformation.

3 hours ago, top4718 said:

For a start surgeons don't wear them to prevent the transmission of microscopic viruses, any healthcare professional that needs to wear one to prevent transmission of a virus will at least wear an industry standard one not a throwaway thing like the ones currently being used by the majority, they will also have had face fit training and won't be using one that's been in a coat pocket and used multiple times.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

That is for highly paid people who have to wear them for a relatively short time.

I'm talking about a receptionist, if it was 50/50 if someone had a chance of a job somewhere they did not have to wear a mask or in a hospital where they did, what do you think most people would choose ?

Or someone who wanted to be a physio, and were weighing up do I want to work in a hospital or clinic where I have to wear a mask all day for the whole of my career, or in a sports club or gym where I don't ?

People who work in the NHS are human, my wife works in the NHS and she doesn't like wearing a mask, because, err, that's the normal view. Nobody likes wearing masks, it's a matter of how much people dislike them.

I haven't been to Japan, but I have been to China and Taiwan.  Maybe 20% were wearing masks. I accept it will be much higher now, but you are implying it was always like that, and it was not, that is a common piece of misinformation. I have even heard it on the BBC.

As explained in the meantime by Carbuncle, hospital theatre staff have been wearing surgical masks for decades to stop infecting the patient on the table with any pathogens they may be carrying and expectorating through normal breathing.

This is the exact same healthcare reason why Japanese commuters have been wearing theirs for decades, whenever they (the ‘20%’ you witnessed) are feeling ill. The self-imposed duty of wearing a mask in such circumstances arises from their social and moral sense.

Vaccinated and unvaccinated people alike are asked to wear a mask in public places to help stop the spread of the infection, because no one knows whether they have Covid or not at any one time before they start to experience symptoms but they are already infectious: no vaccine, nor any booster, stops anyone from catching Covid. Covid vaccines just reduce the likelihood of grave outcomes requiring professional healthcare resources.

21 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

I personally don't have a problem with that. For what it's worth he was on Sheffield Forum posting about covid around the beginning of the pandemic in the UK and got banned. I think he is a genuine person rather than for example somebody from a Russian troll factory. The problem I have is the fact he is spamming us with misinformation.

Was he using a different name ?

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Was he using a different name ?

I think so. I don't know for sure.

18 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

https://fb.watch/9LvVXtFyPJ/

I'm sure he's lying though eh🙄

No, he's just an idiot chuntering on about how the vaccine is killing people.

This is how it works: one gullible conspirasheeple passes misinformation to other gullible conspirasheeple and so the infodemic spreads.

Edited by Carbuncle

Just now, The_DADDY said:

https://fb.watch/9LvVXtFyPJ/

I'm sure he's lying though eh🙄

Governments have a long history of approving drugs that turn out to be ineffective, even deadly.

Hundreds of FDA Approved  drugs, as well as various items such as women's birth control devises, have been recalled and taken of the market over the years, due to unforseen dangerous outcomes. We all remember the tragedy of Thalidomide.

Scientists and governments are not gods,  but mere mortals doing the best they can, sometimes under stressful conditions, and facing new  and unfamiliar threats. Sometimes there is outright fraud and faulty testing involved by drug corporations.

U.S. TV has many commercials by ambulance chasing Lawyers, that begin with, "If you took xxxx drug between these dates, you may be eligible for compensation under a class action lawsuit......"

But in this highly politically polarized era the pressure to find cures is enormous on politicians and scientists alike.

Taking any medication has it's associated risks that can only be truly ascertained years later.

The man has the right to be skeptical, and you have the right to call him a liar!