The Labour Party - Part 2

1 hour ago, Axe said:

The Labour party should be pledging policies that will at least make me think about voting for them.  There are millions out there who have not been convinced that the Labour party will make a better alternative government.  

I thought this was hilarious

Keir Starmer vows to cap resale music and sport ticket prices

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68563793

That's right Keir, you focus on the important things......

2 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Very many people do go to sports and musical events and get ripped off by ticket touts.

May not be important to you but it will to those who we hear complaining.

It's the biased media who tell you this when they could have mentioned something more important instead.

Everything is important to someone. 

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Very many people do go to sports and musical events and get ripped off by ticket touts.

It's the biased media who tell you this when they could have mentioned something more important instead.

Tell us some  more important Labour policies. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Many musical events and theatre performances would not take place if it was not for ticket touts.  Musical events and theatre performances organisers sell large numbers of tickets to ticket touts in advance which guarantees funding for musical  events and theatre performances.   Nobody gets  ripped off because nobody is forced to buy tickets from ticked touts.  Buyers from ticket touts do not complain when they get a ticket for less than face value because the ticket tout has bought too many tickets. 

1 hour ago, Axe said:

Many musical events and theatre performances would not take place if it was not for ticket touts.  Musical events and theatre performances organisers sell large numbers of tickets to ticket touts in advance which guarantees funding for musical  events and theatre performances.   Nobody gets  ripped off because nobody is forced to buy tickets from ticked touts.  Buyers from ticket touts do not complain when they get a ticket for less than face value because the ticket tout has bought too many tickets. 

That doesn't explain why there are fairly regular news items discussing that very ripping off.

Doesn't matter to me because I no longer attend either sporting events or music events.

Despite my lack of interest,  I'm not so mardy as to complain if he does something which will benefit someone else.  He must have good reason to spend time on that point.

It would be nice to see the Tories wondering if they could make life better for someone,  rather than harder,  as is their wont.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

That doesn't explain why there are fairly regular news items discussing that very ripping off.

Doesn't matter to me because I no longer attend either sporting events or music events.

Despite my lack of interest,  I'm not so mardy as to complain if he does something which will benefit someone else.  He must have good reason to spend time on that point.

It would be nice to see the Tories wondering if they could make life better for someone,  rather than harder,  as is their wont.

As I pointed out it is only whingers complaining about ticket touts and not those who benefit from their service.  

The plan to charge VAT for private school fees is also badly thought out. Most private schools attract pupils from modest households and putting up the cost will mean a fall in the numbers of pupils attending private schools and putting more of a burden on state schools. If a pupil is attending a private school then that cost is not met by the taxpayer.

All the Labour party plans are badly thought out.

1 hour ago, Axe said:

As I pointed out it is only whingers complaining about ticket touts and not those who benefit from their service.  

The plan to charge VAT for private school fees is also badly thought out. Most private schools attract pupils from modest households and putting up the cost will mean a fall in the numbers of pupils attending private schools and putting more of a burden on state schools. If a pupil is attending a private school then that cost is not met by the taxpayer.

All the Labour party plans are badly thought out.

If Starmer want's to make people you call  "whingers"  happy,  then that's up to him.

I agree with Labour that charging VAT on private school fees is a correct move.

Whoever would expect you to approve of a Labour manifesto anyway  -  no surprise there.

As I said,  Labour will not find your missing vote a problem  -  just like the Tories who had to manage without mine.  That's the way things work.

10 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

If Starmer want's to make people you call  "whingers"  happy,  then that's up to him.

Whoever would expect you to approve of a Labour manifesto anyway  -  no surprise there.

As I said,  Labour will not find your missing vote a problem  -  just like the Tories who had to manage without mine.  That's the way things work.

Putting VAT on private school fees is the politics of envy.  

6 minutes ago, Axe said:

Putting VAT on private school fees is the politics of envy.  

It isn’t.

Its just taxing a good in the same way as many other goods,

The private schools will just have to find efficiency savings to keep their fees down.

They could start by having the same pupil:teacher ratio as state schools.

19 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

What makes you think it’s a correct move ? 

Just now, Prettytom said:

It isn’t.

Its just taxing a good in the same way as many other goods,

The private schools will just have to find efficiency savings to keep their fees down.

They could start by having the same pupil:teacher ratio as state schools.

That last sentence proves Axe’s point. 

6 hours ago, alchresearch said:

It’s a great idea and long overdue.

Just try getting tickets for major events. It’s very difficult because you have to compete against touts and their bots.

So, maybe not the biggest issue, but certainly a good idea. John Major’s government passed similar legislation about football tickets.