Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

I've been saying from the start how the lockdowns/measures could damage civil liberties to the point of facilitating global totalitarianism- that survey does not bode well.

you're just being paranoid - but that doesn't mean we aren't out to get you..... 

however, given the amount of drink fuelled antisocial behaviour it's not surprising that some people would favour reducing the availability of alcohol.  

travel quarantine is probably a very good thing in general, we saw how quickly this spread round the world. steps to limit the spread of novel infections seem quite reasonable. 

we've done masks to death here, but i'd be quite content to retain masks in certain locations. 

Guest makapaka

You don’t tell a nation not to leave their front door unless they need food or medicine.

due to a bug.

that is still out there and always will be.

and then say get back to normal.

it’s the kids, including mine, that I feel sorry for. God knows what we’re leaving them.

Edited by makapaka

6 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

however, given the amount of drink fuelled antisocial behaviour it's not surprising that some people would favour reducing the availability of alcohol.  

travel quarantine is probably a very good thing in general, we saw how quickly this spread round the world. steps to limit the spread of novel infections seem quite reasonable. 

we've done masks to death here, but i'd be quite content to retain masks in certain locations. 

You don't mean 'permanently, regardless of covid-19' though, do you?

Guest sibon
5 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Which pandemic are you comparing this one to to - In order to establish a typical scenario?

Well, the ones most closely related to Covid are SARS and MERS which each lasted a few years. I suppose you could chuck in Spanish Flu as well, mostly because of transmission similarities.

We are nearing the end. The vaccines work. We just need time to vaccinate everyone who isn’t either crazy, or medically unsuited.

On that point, my two kids are single vaxxed at the moment. One has had it, one hasn’t. They’ve both given up 18 months of their lives to sort this. I think we all owe it to them to be a bit patient. They aren’t special, btw, I just know and understand their situation.

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

You don’t tell a nation not to leave their front door unless they need food or medicine.

due to a bug.

that is still out there and always will be.

and get back to normal.

it’s the kids, including mine, that I feel sorry for.

God knows what we’re leaving them.

I know we have very different options on some things regarding thus situation but I have to say that post is absolutely bang on. It really nails it for me. 

Guest sibon
10 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

The funniest thing is you probably mean every word of your post. 

I must say a big thank you. I really needed a good giggle 👍

I mean every word of it.

Your claim that Kim Jong-un is a friend, is your most plausible post for ages.

Edited by sibon

Just now, sibon said:

I mean every word of it.

Your claim that Kim Jong-un was a friend is your most plausible post for ages.

Sweet👌

So, shall we get back on topic then? 

Guest makapaka
5 minutes ago, sibon said:

Well, the ones most closely related to Covid are SARS and MERS which each lasted a few years. I suppose you could chuck in Spanish Flu as well, mostly because of transmission similarities.

We are nearing the end. The vaccines work. We just need time to vaccinate everyone who isn’t either crazy, or medically unsuited.

On that point, my two kids are single vaxxed at the moment. One has had it, one hasn’t. They’ve both given up 18 months of their lives to sort this. I think we all owe it to them to be a bit patient. They aren’t special, btw, I just know and understand their situation.

They didn’t get 24 hour media coverage on cases / deaths - a global vaccination programme / or a constant monitoring of mutations to them though.

Guest sibon
1 minute ago, makapaka said:

They didn’t get 24 hour media coverage on cases / deaths - a global vaccination programme / or a constant monitoring of mutations to them though.

No.

Take a look at which countries they affected most.

5 minutes ago, sibon said:

I don't think SARS and MERS are good comparators. Each has only infected a few thousands and MERS is still out there.

2 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

You don't mean 'permanently, regardless of covid-19' though, do you?

welll, maybe permanently 

there would be benefits to reducing the availability of alcohol over and above anything related to covid. 

there certainly needs to be something better than we had to prevent the spread of novel and not so novel infections. it's hard not to see quarantine not being a part of that in some circumstances. 

Guest sibon
4 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

I don't think SARS and MERS are good comparators. Each has only infected a few thousands and MERS is still out there.

I disagree. They are both similar in many ways to Covid.