Coronavirus - Part Two.

4 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

i have 3 carers, all young students, one has isolated for 10 days after being pinged, now has been told she has to do it again due to other ping, then the other one has just been told she has to isolate for ten days as her flatmate is C/positive, the other one has a flu like illness, and is off(lost of bugs around now)_

So, i have precisely no care, what i am meant to do? all the contingencies of the previous lockdowns, support, etc, seem to have gone

This is the longer game for government. "Yes, everything open and back to normal so nobody will need any more help or support (obviously you'll have to self isolate if you test positive and your place of employment and/or business might have to close every few weeks or so).

21 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

i have 3 carers, all young students, one has isolated for 10 days after being pinged, now has been told she has to do it again due to other ping, then the other one has just been told she has to isolate for ten days as her flatmate is C/positive, the other one has a flu like illness, and is off(lost of bugs around now)_

So, i have precisely no care, what i am meant to do? all the contingencies of the previous lockdowns, support, etc, seem to have gone

Tell them to delete the app and to live their life.

Guest sibon
15 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Tell them to delete the app and to live their life.

Possibly at the expense of others.

You should really give the full picture.

2 minutes ago, sibon said:

Possibly at the expense of others.

You should really give the full picture.

Not really, the scenario described sounds absolutely ludicrous.  If someone wants to tell me to isolate they can have the good grace and ring me and legally tell me to do so, rather than an app tell me (the notifications from the app arent legally enforceable by the way, I suspect you knew this).

Edited by HeHasRisen

Quite a lot of the covid policy needs reworking now that the strategy has changed. Originally we were trying to keep cases low, where as now cases are being allowed to explode with the hopefully well-founded belief that they will peak and start to drop away before things become too bad. Since vaccination is far advanced and has now slowed we actually need a certain number of people to get infected for the realization of the herd immunity which will bring the delta variant under control. We just need these infections to happen to the right groups (ie not the vulnerable) and not too fast.

Policies that shield the NHS, the care sector and those who are/ feel vulnerable seem like a good idea.

Policies like the traffic light system for travel to international destinations look like a load of rubbish when we have a case rate that only a very few other countries can get close to ... and we are deliberately allowing that case rate to grow further. Of course it is still probably a bad idea to travel during a ongoing pandemic unless you really need to. Also other countries ought to not welcome us pox-ridden Brits but that is another story.

Meanwhile, beyond a certain case rate track and trace is going to end up looking like an expensively administered form of lockdown.

Edited by Carbuncle

Reading about new variant, Lamda, now in Uk, 10% mortality rate in S.America, very worried, my friend ex inf diseases nurse, thinks things are going to get worse.

Edited by gamezone07

9 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

Reading about new variant, Lamda, now in Uk, 10% mortality rate in S.America, very worried, my friend ex inf diseases nurse, think things are going to get worse.

Interesting. Do you have a source for the 10% mortality rate?

Also on a different topic (software merged it):

When the BBC says "No 10 defends PM over maskless car photo" who exactly does "No 10" refer to? Is this the same as saying Boris defends himself?

Edited by Carbuncle

NYT  from 2 days back.

Covid’s Lambda Variant: Worth Watching, but No Cause for Alarm.

Rest is paywalled 

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

A relative who has the app is self isolating because they got pinged meaning they can't go to work. It does seem unfair that people who are doing the right thing are being penalised while others such as myself who haven't  got the app will never get pinged. 

Seen in the news this week that apparently hundreds of thousands of people have deleted it. Cant think why.

1 hour ago, Carbuncle said:

Quite a lot of the covid policy needs reworking now that the strategy has changed. Originally we were trying to keep cases low, where as now cases are being allowed to explode with the hopefully well-founded belief that they will peak and start to drop away before things become too bad. Since vaccination is far advanced and has now slowed we actually need a certain number of people to get infected for the realization of the herd immunity which will bring the delta variant under control. We just need these infections to happen to the right groups (ie not the vulnerable) and not too fast.

Policies that shield the NHS, the care sector and those who are/ feel vulnerable seem like a good idea.

Policies like the traffic light system for travel to international destinations look like a load of rubbish when we have a case rate that only a very few other countries can get close to ... and we are deliberately allowing that case rate to grow further. Of course it is still probably a bad idea to travel during a ongoing pandemic unless you really need to. Also other countries ought to not welcome us pox-ridden Brits but that is another story.

Meanwhile, beyond a certain case rate track and trace is going to end up looking like an expensively administered form of lockdown.

I'm amazed how many countries are still letting us in.

7 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Seen in the news this week that apparently hundreds of thousands of people have deleted it. Cant think why.

About 300,000 a week are downloading it still now 

Think there's been 26 million total so far

Although there is undoubtedly a break between hospital cases , mortality’s and infections the fact is cases are rising at an alarming rate here and to an extent in Europe.Just wait till all the masses who are now booking holidays to Spain and the like start getting positive tests abroad and have to isolate before returning!