Remembering The Holocaust.

12 hours ago, pattricia said:

Thanks Lex. You’ve put it all into perspective now.

There is a tour of the camps but someone I know has been round them and says they are very depressing. But they should be left there to make us think what the Nazis did to the Jews.

Yes, definitely.  Did you watch the program on BBC2 last night, "The Last Survivors"?  

I thought I might get upset but nothing prepared me for it.  It was very interesting to note what similarities and differences there were amongst survivors in how they managed to carry on.  One survivor went back to Auschwitz with his daughter, it was understandably, very painful for him.  I don't think I'd realised the sheer size of the place.  

I felt, caught unawares when a survivor told his story of holding his Dad's hand as a child and feeling that his Dad was not saying much to him but then examining the situation in hindsight, and concluding that it must be terrible to not be able to do anything to protect your own sons from the horrors they were subjected to.

5 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Yes, definitely.  Did you watch the program on BBC2 last night, "The Last Survivors"?  

I thought I might get upset but nothing prepared me for it.  It was very interesting to note what similarities and differences there were amongst survivors in how they managed to carry on.  One survivor went back to Auschwitz with his daughter, it was understandably, very painful for him.  I don't think I'd realised the sheer size of the place.  

I felt, caught unawares when a survivor told his story of holding his Dad's hand as a child and feeling that his Dad was not saying much to him but then examining the situation in hindsight, and concluding that it must be terrible to not be able to do anything to protect your own sons from the horrors they were subjected to.

Yes I saw the programme on BB2 last night. It made me think. Very touching.

'Holocaust: night will call' on More 4 was horrific. Last night we watched The Windermere Children on bbc2. We watch all the documentaries about the horror of the camps but are rarely told about what happened next. I found the programme very moving to see young survivors being brought to England and how at first they felt like they were just going to another camp. Running off with their pieces of bread to hide it, happiness at getting new clothes. The sadness when they learned their families were dead. Compelling viewing.

Edited by Fiat500
wrong word put in, don't like predictive text