Propaganda

53 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Targeted advertising sells ideas as well as things.

Only if you fall for it. 

By the way, if anyone's interested, I've got some magic beans for sale? 

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

Only if you fall for it. 

Millions of dollars wouldn't be spent on it if enough people didn't fall for it.

One of the most interesting things that came out of Channel Four News' investigation into Cambridge Analytica, mainly through interviews with people who were at the heart of it, was how clinical the methods were to not just target fake news to a 'bubble' but to go even further and target it at actual individuals based on their facebook activity.

I have just got a leaflet from the Lib Dems which is completely generic and generally slags off Labour and the Tories. The only thing remotely targetted about it is that the party address is in my postcode.

Now suppose I endlessly started threads on SF about disabled parking, the price of petrol and the local bus service then got a leaflet through my letterbox headlined "Are you fed up with the price of petrol, people abusing disabled parking or a shocking local bus service?" I would be much more likely to read on rather than consign it to the recyling.

That is exactly how targetted fake news on facebook works and why so many people fall for it. In a world where people feel ignored, being 'targetted' rather than being creepy is seen as flattering. And as the algorithms get more sophisticated and we give these people more and more free information about ourselves the more convincing these attempts to sway our views will be.

Without self knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave.

- G. I. Gurdjieff

7 minutes ago, MAC33 said:

Without self knowledge, without understanding the working and functions of his machine, man cannot be free, he cannot govern himself and he will always remain a slave.

- G. I. Gurdjieff

Brexit supporters by and large, are horrified whenever I suggest they may have been influenced by fake news during the referendum campaign despite 90% of their arguments for leaving the EU being based on information which has been discredited time and time again.

"propaganda" means to have a really really good look at something.