Propaganda

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

A more modern twist on propaganda is the rise of fake news hand in hand with the demonisation of the mainstream media. This demonisation includes physical attacks on journalists, photographers and camera operators deemed to be the enemy by those on the right and far right.

At today's Wee Tommy Robinson rally in Salford, veiled threats were made to photographers covering the event.

"Wee Tommy Robinson holds Salford protest against BBC Panorama"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-47335414

So we can believe THIS bbc report, but not other bbc reports.

I'm beginning to think that propaganda exists if it suits any given argument. Corbyn was at it today, also saying the mainstream media doesn't give a fair crack because sky didn't ask him what he wanted them to ask. Corbyn, little Tommy and trump all trotting out the same line - strange bedfellows indeed.

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'm beginning to think that propaganda exists if it suits any given argument. Corbyn was at it today, also saying the mainstream media doesn't give a fair crack because sky didn't ask him what he wanted them to ask. Corbyn, little Tommy and trump all trotting out the same line - strange bedfellows indeed.

I think we need to be careful not to confuse propaganda with spin.

Spin is putting a truth across in the most favourable way possible for the person or party responsible. 

Propaganda is deliberately misleading information.  It is important to recognise the difference.

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Spin is putting a truth across in the most favourable way possible for the person or party responsible. 

Propaganda is deliberately misleading information.  It is important to recognise the difference.

I wonder what catagory lying by ommision comes into? 

All too often only one side of a story is given, creating an altogether false impression of what's actually going on.

5 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Surely spin can also result in deliberately misleading information (which is what you've defined as propaganda). So I'd consider spin to be just one form of propaganda.   

Edited by FormerSheff

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I wonder what catagory lying by ommision comes into? 

All too often only one side of a story is given, creating an altogether false impression of what's actually going on.

Lying by  omission will also result in misleading information, so I'd say that's also just one 'device' used within propaganda.  

7 hours ago, FormerSheff said:

Surely spin can also result in deliberately misleading information (which is what you've defined as propaganda). So I'd consider may be to be just one form of propaganda.  

That may be true if we just have one news source, like the BBC. But the internet allows us to access the original data.

The older generation that mainly rely on newspapers or people that skim the news will be a danger of being misinformed. Which is what has happened in recent times, many are not interested in in-detail news.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

That may be true if we just have one news source, like the BBC. But the internet allows us to access the original data.

The older generation that mainly rely on newspapers or people that skim the news will be a danger of being misinformed. Which is what has happened in recent times, many are not interested in in-detail news.

I get what you're saying, but that doesn't change what I said about spin being a form of propaganda. People being able to use the internet to go deeper (rather than just skim the news) is good, but that's something else.

Edited by FormerSheff

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

The internet allows you to access the data which people put on it.

It might be original or it might not be. 

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

The most deliberately misleading headline I have seen in the last year was the one in the Daily Express (and possibly the Metro) which went along the lines of "EU to Make our Streets less Safe". The associated article was basically a list of all the policing, security and intelligence sharing advantages that are a benefit of membership of the EU which we will lose if we leave. 

If you read the online comments they were overwhelmingly of the "How dare the EU make our streets less safe!" variety which suggested that very few of their readers had actually read anything more than the headline or if they had, they had struggled to understand that if we choose to leave an organisation that gives us certain advantages, we are responsible and not the organisation.

It would be a very interesting experiment to have a whole day where every tabloid printed a completely unrelated story underneath a 'dog whistle' headline, then see what percentage of their readers actually noticed.

2 hours ago, andyofborg said:

The internet allows you to access the data which people put on it.

It might be original or it might not be.

Maybe most don't view the original, but the ONS or the MET  Office should be good enough for most.

What is scary, (and I know know this from some of my grandchildren), is that for many of the younger generation, Facebook is the first place to go for news & views. 

Unlike on such as SF, not many of the news stories or views appear to go unchallenged but are taken at face value & perpetuated.  Wasn't it Churchill who said, decades before the Internet, "A lie gets halfway round the world before the truth has chance to put its pants on."? 

Edited by Baron99

13 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Unlike on such as SF, not many of the news stories or views appear to go unchallenged but are taken at face value & perpetuated.  

Targeted advertising sells ideas as well as things.