Sign in to follow this  

Eerie co-incidences...

On the day Princess Diana died, and the news was flashing everywhere, I remember saying obliquely;

"God, who next- Mother Theresa?" - She died one week later.

When I was younger I remember several times having a different tune in my mind, turning on the radio- only to find that very song playing on the airwaves! Some of the songs in question might have been in the charts, I can't remember, but I was spooked still...

Has anyone else had similar, or more extreme, experiences?

Mother Theresa had just turned 87 when Princess Diana died and had been very ill (malaria and heart surgery) for the past 12 months. It was hardly surprising that she would die when she did.

As for your radio experience, well the selection of songs played on mainstream radio at any one time is pretty small, so it's actually quite likely that the songs in your head (which are likely to be current hits) will line up with what comes on the radio from time to time. (There would have been hundreds of occasions when the song on the radio was not the song you had in your head, but they wouldn't be memorable.)

Probably. And I bet they're equally explicable as well.

[mbatey]

There was a bit of debate about what day I would be born on. The doctors predicted the 18th of January, my Mum and Dad thought the 15th and my Great Grandma predicted that I would be born on the 13th. Out of the blue without any illness or anything my Great Grandma died on the 13th in her sleep. I've always found that slightly spooky.

Isn't it weird that Jesus was born AND DIED on a Bank Holiday?

Mother Theresa had just turned 87 when Princess Diana died and had been very ill (malaria and heart surgery) for the past 12 months. It was hardly surprising that she would die when she did.

As for your radio experience, well the selection of songs played on mainstream radio at any one time is pretty small, so it's actually quite likely that the songs in your head (which are likely to be current hits) will line up with what comes on the radio from time to time. (There would have been hundreds of occasions when the song on the radio was not the song you had in your head, but they wouldn't be memorable.)

Probably. And I bet they're equally explicable as well.

[mbatey]

Probably on both counts- I didn't know Mother Theresa was ill then as I didn't bother with the news too much- but still..eerie timing.

I once completely randomly guessed the first name of a colleague's granddad, I hadn't known her long and it was just the first name that came into my head, wasn't even a common name at that, like George or William.

Spookiness.

Almost exactly the same things have happened to me. I remember when Diana died I said to myself, "who next, the pope?" and within only a handful of years he was dead. I also often find myself humming the tune from the Archers while driving home from work only to be shocked when the tune appears at 7.02 almost by magic every day.

On the day Princess Diana died, and the news was flashing everywhere, I remember saying obliquely;

"God, who next- Mother Theresa?" - She died one week later.

When I was younger I remember several times having a different tune in my mind, turning on the radio- only to find that very song playing on the airwaves! Some of the songs in question might have been in the charts, I can't remember, but I was spooked still...

Yeah, I once decided to go visit someone at a school I used to work at on the way there I got a strong sense that she was off sick despite not having any contact with the school for a few months. I arrived and she was indeed off sick!

A few times I've known someone is going to ring and they have a few minutes later.

8 years later when the Pope died. Considering he was about 140 years old - this again is not so surprising.

Who next? My 126 year old great-grandad?

I'll tell you what would be really, really eerie.

If there were never any coincidences, ever.

That really would be weird!

I'll tell you what would be really, really eerie.

If there were never any coincidences, ever.

That really would be weird!

Wow! Did that happen to anyone else?