Dangerous junction S2

What exactly do you mean by "a bit dicey" .

I'm kicking myself that I didn't make a proper record of this at the time. I was a passenger in a vehicle waiting at the lights at the back of St Wilfreds Centre, waiting to go across the junction and up the bridge and somehow noted that the timings of the lights in relation to one another meant that it could have led to a potential accident and I mentioned it to a fellow passenger and told them I wanted to report it, but I'd forgotten all about it until now. Our driver was taking her time, which was lucky, or I think we would have had an accident. I'm wondering now whether ours had changed to green as a taxi had just come across our path and gone up past the U-Mix centre or whatever it's called.

The Amber period on all traffic signals in the uk is fixed. It never varies.

What can be different from location to location is the intergreen period which is the time from losing green on one approach to gaining green on an opposing approach. This is set in the original configuration of the signal controller and never varies.

Thanks Planner.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't make a proper record of this at the time. I was a passenger in a vehicle waiting at the lights at the back of St Wilfreds Centre, waiting to go across the junction and up the bridge and somehow noted that the timings of the lights in relation to one another meant that it could have led to a potential accident and I mentioned it to a fellow passenger and told them I wanted to report it, but I'd forgotten all about it until now. Our driver was taking her time, which was lucky, or I think we would have had an accident. I'm wondering now whether ours had changed to green as a taxi had just come across our path and gone up past the U-Mix centre or whatever it's called.

You mean the taxi came from Queens Rd and turned right up Bramall Lane towards U-Mix? That manoeuvre is allowed but a lot of other drivers seem to think it is not.

There are problems with vehicles running red lights on Queens Rd in that direction ( there is a red light camera there as a result) and it's of course always possible that someone deliberately came through after a couple of seconds red.

If you can't see both sets of signals, you can't know what signal was showing.

As I said, the intergreen timings are fixed and never ever change. Also, conflicting approaches can never show green at the same time. The signal controller contains safety features which shut the whole junction signals down in milliseconds if a green conflict is detected. It shuts down so fast the human eye would not see the green signal. I have never heard of a green conflict occurring on UK traffic signals, ever.

Edited by Planner1

You mean the taxi came from Queens Rd and turned right up Bramall Lane towards U-Mix? That manoeuvre is allowed but a lot of other drivers seem to think it is not.

There are problems with vehicles running red lights on Queens Rd in that direction ( there is a red light camera there as a result) and it's of course always possible that someone deliberately came through after a couple of seconds red.

If you can't see both sets of signals, you can't know what signal was showing.

As I said, the intergreen timings are fixed and never ever change. Also, conflicting approaches can never show green at the same time. The signal controller contains safety features which shut the whole junction signals down in milliseconds if a green conflict is detected. It shuts down so fast the human eye would not see the green signal. I have never heard of a green conflict occurring on UK traffic signals, ever.

Thanks for your detailed, helpful and very reassuring response, Planner.

It could have been a lights 'jumper' coming from Queens Rd and that seems the most obvious explanation, but something (perhaps falsely, having read your response) gave me the definite impression that it was a lights conflict. I'm hoping when I'm next at that junction, it might jog some memory.

Can taxis (and even cars) turn left from Queens Rd, (coming from Wolsey Road direction) and on to that road where the U-Mix centre is?

Edited by Lex Luthor

Can taxis (and even cars) turn left from Queens Rd, (coming from Wolsey Road direction) and on to that road where the U-Mix centre is?

Yes, any vehicle can make the left turn from Queens Rd into Bramall Lane.