Ju Jitsu in Sheffield????

I know there has been a few threads about Ju Juitsu, but JJ (or BJJ) is something I'd like to look into .....

I've read some of the other threads and found them interesting .....

As I'm experienced in Shotokan, would BJJ or Japanese JJ suit me best???

AND anyone ever heard or been to the club in Clifford School (?) on Psalter Lane that trains JJ and Kobudo on a Saturday .....???? The Noorthern Martial Arts Academy I think it is called ....

BJJ and traditional JJ are quite different. If it's your game on the floor that you're looking to improve then BJJ is the way to go.

If it's more general throwing, locking and some floor work, then traditional JJ will cover it.

BJJ is more modern in approach, and so is more competitive, traditional JJ will have a less competitive style.

Why not try both and see which you want to do.

You're welcome to attend my class on thursday night if you want to take a look see, first session is free, time is 2000 - 2200 at the goodwin sports centre near the hallamshire hospital.

Try looking at this article. While the article compairs (classic/Japanese) Ju Jitsu with submission grappling most of the points are the same for BJJ.

Yep, it depends what you're looking for. Traditional jujitsu would overlap more with karate, but uses a shorter stance and focusses more on locking techniques than striking. BJJ probably doesn't overlap at all and would add a different side to your training.

I'd give them both a go and see which one appeals. I've tried both and BJJ's the one I've stuck with the longest - but then I didn't stick with shotokan either so it's an entirely individual thing.

Hi John,

There's a BJJ class on before karate at the 393 club. I was thinking of popping along some time when things have calmed down with the nipper, if you fancy it.

... some time when things have calmed down with the nipper, if you fancy it.

Sooo... that'll be around 15 years time then? ;)

Hi John,

There's a BJJ class on before karate at the 393 club. I was thinking of popping along some time when things have calmed down with the nipper, if you fancy it.

Have thought about getting down early to have a looksee before training ....

Sooo... that'll be around 15 years time then? ;)

How soon can you bung them off to a convent? It's that soon.

Hi Shoto, I know the guys that teach at the Clifford School on a Saturday. They are good fellas John Hallam is a 3rd dan in ju jitsu and is doing his 4th dan this weekend (I think?) Mike is a 2nd dan ju jitsu, has a background in karate and has been doing a bit of Muay thai. I know they have been working hard at the Kobudo and doing their qualifications for the last couple of years. I went to their saturday class for the past two years, before it moved, and really enjoyed it (good mix of conditioning-pad work etc-, sparring-standing and on the ground-, and technique. Plus they like to think about what would and wouldn't work in 'real life'). They are very open minded, good to train with and good to have a beer with!

Hi Shoto, I know the guys that teach at the Clifford School on a Saturday. They are good fellas John Hallam is a 3rd dan in ju jitsu and is doing his 4th dan this weekend (I think?) Mike is a 2nd dan ju jitsu, has a background in karate and has been doing a bit of Muay thai. I know they have been working hard at the Kobudo and doing their qualifications for the last couple of years. I went to their saturday class for the past two years, before it moved, and really enjoyed it (good mix of conditioning-pad work etc-, sparring-standing and on the ground-, and technique. Plus they like to think about what would and wouldn't work in 'real life'). They are very open minded, good to train with and good to have a beer with!

Cheers for that ..... I'll maybe have a look see .....