Government cash surplus-does anyone understand it and can explain it t

No coincidence Osborne now advises corporate business. Been in cahoots with them for years.

Its a balance, we need businesses for jobs and taxes. Labour seem to be at the other end of the scale.

They've reduced tax for the poorest earners by raising the income tax threshold and raised tax on the richest through closing loopholes and taxing things such as dividends much more than before.

The tax burden on the richest has trebled since the 1970s.

http://https:S//www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/19/tax-burden-wealthy-has-trebled-since-1970s-telegraph-analysis/

The richest 1% now pay 27% of all income tax.

And Services for the poorest (and anyone else who need them,) have been decimated...

I'm sick and tired of hearing how the rich are paying most tax, like we should be grateful to them. They can always take a job paying minimum wage if they want to pay less.

What? No takers? Thought not...

Edited by Anna B

Direct & indirect taxation highest since 1987 says IFS.

The torygraph would say that, barclay brothers so committed to avoiding taxation they bought own channel island!

If you read the article you will see that the 'tory graph' is actually complaining about the high levels of taxation on the rich, undermining the Conservative's reputation as a "low tax" party - it isn't giving them a big pat on the back..

Do you think the article isn't true?

If you read the article you will see that the 'tory graph' is actually complaining about the high levels of taxation on the rich, undermining the Conservative's reputation as a "low tax" party - it isn't giving them a big pat on the back..

Do you think the article isn't true?

High taxation is a joke. Yes, it's untrue. The tories are committed to tax breaks for the wealthiest. They missed every target on the deficit.

I cannot get my head around this. It was announced that government's finances were in surplus by £2bn last month. But how can there still be a national debt then? Does anyone understand how it works?

The surplus is the opposite of the deficit. The plan to spend £xxx, if they spend less then they will have a surplus and if they spend more that is called a deficit.

Its a balance, we need businesses for jobs and taxes. Labour seem to be at the other end of the scale.

Low paid jobs, wage levels barely risen in 10 years.

High taxation is a joke. Yes, it's untrue. The tories are committed to tax breaks for the wealthiest. They missed every target on the deficit.

So the fact the income tax burden on the top 1% has trebled since the 1970s is a lie?

Do you have any evidence to support this claim, it's quite sensational - the conspiracy must run deep!

I suppose the increased taxation on dividends is all a lie too. Silly me.

Edited by Robin-H

What level of taxation would you call high? How much of your earnings do you pay tax on?

I earn around £15k and I pay a small amount of tax.

So the fact the tax burden on the top 1% has trebled since the 1970s is a lie?

Do you have any evidence to support this claim, it's quite sensational - the conspiracy must run deep!

I suppose the increased taxation on dividends is all a lie too. Silly me.

Why didn't they meet 2016 target if raising so much in taxation? Everyone meant to be in work apparently.

Edited by chakademus
Scam

Why didn't they meet 2016 target if raising so much in taxation? Everyone meant to be in work apparently.

Because meeting the targets rely on a lot more than just generating money from income tax...

Also, everyone is not 'meant to be in work'. We have very low (and continually decreasing) unemployment figures, but that doesn't mean that everyone is in work. Far far from it.

What level of taxation would you call high? How much of your earnings do you pay tax on?

I earn around £15k and I pay a small amount of tax.

taxation is made up of only fraction of what comes out of gross pay. Stealth tax.

taxation is made up of only fraction of what comes out of gross pay. Stealth tax.

Ok. What do you reckon the total tax rate including stealth tax is for low earners? As a percentage.