World Cup 2018 thread

You should stick to what you know:wink:

Still, it is lovely to have a self-appointed spokesman for the world on this humble forum. Please stick around.

---------- Post added 04-07-2018 at 21:27 ----------

excuse me, but when was the last time you discussed association football, or soccer, in a pub or a bar with a bunch of guys, in Australia, South Africa, or the United States?

unlike in Italy, or Portugal, or Germany, or Brazil, if you used the expression 'football', they'd think you were talking about some other sport.

excuse me, but when was the last time you discussed association football, or soccer, in a pub or a bar with a bunch of guys, in Australia, South Africa, or the United States?

unlike in Italy, or Portugal, or Germany, or Brazil, if you used the expression 'football', they'd think you were talking about some other sport.

As I said, stick to what you know:wink:

I've never called football "soccer". On any continent. I've always been understood.

England are strong enough to beat Sweden. A bunch of kids making it to the World Cup semi final would be quite an achievement.

The big problem is that paradoxically, a team that had no weight of expectation on its shoulders, now has huge pressure from the very people who had written them off.

Id like to think we can take Sweden,weve been fortunate,weve played noboddy in fairness,Colombia,Panama,Tunisia,and Belgiums reserves,be a different story if it was a finals of 14 times like 66 and 70 and no easy games.

Modern footballs for pussys,every tournament is easier for the better sides because its full of also rans.

Time was,you had to be champions to be in a champions trophy.

In a sport so money heavy,its no wonder theres so much corruption,deceit & gamesmanship.

Footballs lost its edge,its become a procession like formual 1,its boring,sterile and precictable and bent as...like a bad soap opera,I wouldnt be suprised to learn that every result is decided by the TV script wrters weeks before

Edited by staninoodle

As I said, stick to what you know:wink:

I've never called football "soccer". On any continent. I've always been understood.

Australia and North America are the two big places where if you say 'football' they'll initially think that you're talking about a totally different sport. In South Africa too, although to a lesser extent. To a lot of them 'football' means rugby.

Ultimately there's more than half a dozen codes including Association, American, Canadian, Australian, Gaelic, rugby league and rugby union football. If you say soccer, it doesn't matter where you are, there won't be any confusion. Even Euro people, like Spanish, Italians and Germans who are the least familiar with the word soccer will still understand what you mean. If I was in an international group including like an Australian, an American, an Italian and a Nigerian I'd use the word soccer every time. It avoids that split second of confusion where they all may not realise exactly what you mean.

Euro people, who are the ones responsible for the word football becoming synonymous in most places with the association football code, often think soccer is an American English word but it isn't. It's a British word, a contraction of association that got traction because in conversation people needed to easily distinguish association from rugby football.

Australia and North America are the two big places where if you say 'football' they'll initially think that you're talking about a totally different sport. In South Africa too, although to a lesser extent. To a lot of them 'football' means rugby.

Ultimately there's more than half a dozen codes including Association, American, Canadian, Australian, Gaelic, rugby league and rugby union football. If you say soccer, it doesn't matter where you are, there won't be any confusion. Even Euro people, like Spanish, Italians and Germans who are the least familiar with the word soccer will still understand what you mean. If I was in an international group including like an Australian, an American, an Italian and a Nigerian I'd use the word soccer every time. It avoids that split second of confusion where they all may not realise exactly what you mean.

Euro people, who are the ones responsible for the word football becoming synonymous in most places with the association football code, often think soccer is an American English word but it isn't. It's a British word, a contraction of association that got traction because in conversation people needed to easily distinguish association from rugby football.

I remember ITV showing highlights from a Saturday game on Sunday afternoons, the show was called 'World of Soccer'. This was long before live televised games. Just saying, not taking sides here, in fact I am always getting intomini arguments over here when I say football. A Cnadian guy will reply "i'ts soccer", to which I will reply "no it's FOOTball, in other words the ball is bloody KICKED, not carried like your version of football."

it is not as if rugby or American is not a code of football. Of course it is. It's not like it's handball. Quite a lot of the contacts between body and ball is with the feet not hands, and around 50% of the points must be scored with the feet.

those type of 'football or soccer?' exchanges in America and Australia are just tedious. You know exactly what will happen. If you say football, they'll be this short exchange while they attempt to ascertain exactly what sport you are talking about. After about 20 times, you get bored with it, so to circumvent it, you just say soccer. You are in their country after all. You should speak their dialect of English the way they do to help you get understood better and avoid misunderstandings, not the way you do. In Europe in Spain or somewhere I'd never use the word soccer even though as a word, there's nothing wrong with it. As you imply, soccer as a word was formerly used in Britain far more than it is now.

it is not as if rugby or American is not a code of football. Of course it is. It's not like it's handball. Quite a lot of the contacts between body and ball is with the feet not hands, and around 50% of the points must be scored with the feet.

those type of 'football or soccer?' exchanges in America and Australia are just tedious. You know exactly what will happen. If you say football, they'll be this short exchange while they attempt to ascertain exactly what sport you are talking about. After about 20 times, you get bored with it, so to circumvent it, you just say soccer. You are in their country after all. You should speak their dialect of English the way they do to help you get understood better and avoid misunderstandings, not the way you do. In Europe in Spain or somewhere I'd never use the word soccer even though as a word, there's nothing wrong with it. As you imply, soccer as a word was formerly used in Britain far more than it is now.

In Rugby the ball is kicked often to move forward, in American "football" there is only allowable foot contact with the ball on a touchdown conversion, and usually one fella on every team has that job to himself, nobody else on the team ever kicks the ball, but they call it football:D

football is my least favourite of the big 4 American attended sports. It's just horrible. Basketball I don't much like either but it's better than football. Ice Hockey is getting a bit better for me but still not all that great. Baseball is the best one but none of them are brilliant.