Standard rate mobility PIP

My mom has finally been awarded standard rate mobility for pip.

She's asked me to find out if she can still apply for motability on standard rate.

I've searched the net but can't seem to find anything out about standard rate motability. I definitely know if she had high rate then she wouldn't be asking me to find out but with her mobility being so bad and only receiving standard rate she would really love to have a car even a second hand one would do lol

Thanks in advance Emma

You only qualify for a car on the motobility scheme if you get higher rate mobility allowance.

Standard rate is £22.00 per week, enhanced is £58.00 per week.

If your mum has just been awarded standard rate she has the option of appealing this, and then hope she is awarded the higher rate, however the gamble is she could lose it all if she is deemed to be fit.

If your mum was awarded it some time ago I believe you can ask for an early review.

MOBILITY ACTIVITIES

1. Planning and following journeys.

a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. 0 points.

b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points.

c. For reasons other than psychological distress, cannot plan the route of a journey. 8 points.

d. For reasons other than psychological distress, cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points.

e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points.

f. For reasons other than psychological distress, cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points.

2. Moving around.

a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points.

b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points.

c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points.

d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points.

e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points.

f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –

(i) stand; or

(ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points.

SCORE

8 points for the standard rate ................£22.00 PW

12 points for the enhanced rate .............£58.00 PW

Take the test.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test

Hope this helps.

Standard rate is £22.00 per week, enhanced is £58.00 per week.

If your mum has just been awarded standard rate she has the option of appealing this, and then hope she is awarded the higher rate, however the gamble is she could lose it all if she is deemed to be fit.

If your mum was awarded it some time ago I believe you can ask for an early review.

MOBILITY ACTIVITIES

1. Planning and following journeys.

a. Can plan and follow the route of a journey unaided. 0 points.

b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points.

c. For reasons other than psychological distress, cannot plan the route of a journey. 8 points.

d. For reasons other than psychological distress, cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, assistance dog or orientation aid. 10 points.

e. Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 10 points.

f. For reasons other than psychological distress, cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid. 12 points.

2. Moving around.

a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points.

b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points.

c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points.

d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points.

e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points.

f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, –

(i) stand; or

(ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points.

SCORE

8 points for the standard rate ................£22.00 PW

12 points for the enhanced rate .............£58.00 PW

Take the test.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-self-test

Hope this helps.

Can You plan a journey(not without a mobility scooter)

Was can you walk between 50 mtrs and 200 mtrs(cannot do more than 20 mtrs).

Those as it stands were the only two mobilkity questions asked me

If you can't walk 20 mtrs you should be on the enhanced rate, that on it's own qualifies you. I'd appeal, but remember you can lose the lot. This is what they rely on to stop people appealing. At one time 80% of the people who appealed WON their case (not sure what it is now, but it's around the same).

With enhanced mobility payment you can use it to fund a car, get a blue badge, get free road tax on a car you already own (but, the blue badge CAN'T BE USED WITHOUT THE DISABLED PERSON BEING IN THE CAR.

Edited by Itrytoplease

Went to the tribunal with the guy that was representing me he parked on Castle Gate. Couldn't even walk to the lights. I have now waited since April for a new date. Not got one yet. Got a badge have not got a car.

Is it back dated do you know to when your DLA was stopped if you get higher?

Edited by Asaw
Additional question

Dla and pip are two different benifits, I presume your claiming pip now! if not put in a claim asap. being refused for one does not mean you will be refused the other. likewise getting one does not mean you will get the other.

These test centres all seem to be a long way from a bus stop, one would almost think it was done delberatly Q, how did you get here, A, by bus, Reply you failed, you can walk too far.

Yes your payments will be backdated to the time you applied.

---------- Post added 14-08-2017 at 20:55 ----------

Went to the tribunal with the guy that was representing me he parked on Castle Gate. Couldn't even walk to the lights. I have now waited since April for a new date. Not got one yet. Got a badge have not got a car.

Is it back dated do you know to when your DLA was stopped if you get higher?

If he was your adviser he will know the rules regarding walking, and he should know of your inability to walk, this test centre is one of the best for getting into as if you drive around the back you can cross the pedesterain area and be dropped off right outside the door, he can then go and park up and meet you inside. (This is the one behind Argos isnt it?) he didn't do you any favours parking where he did.

Dla and pip are two different benifits, I presume your claiming pip now! if not put in a claim asap. being refused for one does not mean you will be refused the other. likewise getting one does not mean you will get the other.

These test centres all seem to be a long way from a bus stop, one would almost think it was done delberatly Q, how did you get here, A, by bus, Reply you failed, you can walk too far.

Yes your payments will be backdated to the time you applied.

---------- Post added 14-08-2017 at 20:55 ----------

If he was your adviser he will know the rules regarding walking, and he should know of your inability to walk, this test centre is one of the best for getting into as if you drive around the back you can cross the pedesterain area and be dropped off right outside the door, he can then go and park up and meet you inside. (This is the one behind Argos isnt it?) he didn't do you any favours parking where he did.

This was at the Magistrates court were tribunals are hear. What is the access like there? Also we were running late.

This was at the Magistrates court were tribunals are hear. What is the access like there? Also we were running late.

I've never heard of a tribunal being held at the courts, I'll take your word for it, in that case I'd head for the moor and ask the driver to wait while i made sure the mobility scooter I'd rented was avalible. I'd have no choice, and if I can't get the scooter into the court house I'd have to refuse the intrview on the grounds of access.

---------- Post added 17-08-2017 at 19:10 ----------

If they make access to these tribunals hard, you do have a right to change the location.

If you can't walk 20 mtrs you should be on the enhanced rate, that on it's own qualifies you. I'd appeal, but remember you can lose the lot. This is what they rely on to stop people appealing. At one time 80% of the people who appealed WON their case (not sure what it is now, but it's around the same).

With enhanced mobility payment you can use it to fund a car, get a blue badge, get free road tax on a car you already own (but, as with the blue badge NEITHER CAN BE USED WITHOUT THE DISABLED PERSON BEING IN THE CAR. ie your husband/wife couldn't pop down the shops for a pint of milk without you.

I'm sorry, but that's wrong. The car can be used without the person with disabilities being in the car.

The car is leased for the benefit of the person with disabilities, but if that person needs shopping and is unable to go themselves, the other person insured can take the car to the supermarket and get shopping for them, because that is for the benefit of the person in the car. They can't use a blue badge, but any journey that is for the benefit of the person receiving the PIP is a valid use of the vehicle. Collecting prescriptions, dropping off and picking up from wherever, transporting everything from wheelchairs to furniture, all of these are valid uses of a Motability car when the claimant may not be in the vehicle.

Displaying a blue badge for blue badge benefits is a totally different matter, although even with this one, another person may use a blue badge if they are picking up and dropping off the badge holder so the badge holder may not be in the vehicle at all times.

Please don't state things as fact when you don't understand the rules fully.

---------- Post added 17-08-2017 at 19:25 ----------

I'm afraid that the goalposts have changed for PIP so there are thousands of people who qualified for the higher rate mobility of DLA that just don't meet the criteria for the enhanced rate of mobility of PIP. The big change here is that with DLA if you had physical disabilities you either qualified for the higher rate or got nothing (mobility wise) because the lower rate of the mobility portion was used for people who needed someone with them, not for physical disabilities. Because of this, if you had physical disabilities and were borderline you got the higher rate. This doesn't happen with PIP because the standard rate is now used for people who have physical disabilities too.

As for what you do about it, the answer is to get evidence, lots of evidence. Do a walking test with a friend who can measure out a course for you on flat ground outside, and both time your walk and as you're doing it, describe in detail what hurts and how it affects you. Anybody can tell the assessor that it hurts to walk 20m, but when you describe in detail which muscle hurts and when, which joint is affected badly by taking your weight on your left leg (for instance) then that is a different matter.

My first walking test write up was half a sheet of A4 typed. My most recent one took up 2 full pages of description as I have learned that however much they provide you with little boxes on the forms, they actually need more detail for pretty much every question in order to allow the assessor to know a little bit about how you go about your day. The person reading your form doesn't know you, they don't know what you're referring to when you say that your knee goes after a few steps (for example).

https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/vehicles-and-transport

Read under "Eligibility"

And you'll find - The vehicle must be registered in the disabled person’s name or their nominated driver’s name.

It must only be used for the disabled person’s personal needs. It can’t be used by the nominated driver for their own personal use.

I know what I'm talking about, but everyone makes mistakes sometimes, You are correct, you can pop down the shops etc for the disabled person. you can't use it to go to work. I've ammended the artical and - APOLOGISE

Edited by Itrytoplease

The car can only be registered in the disabled persons name,not the nominated driver.My wife does not drive so i am one of her nominated drivers.she is now on her 4th car with the motobility scheme and all of them have had to be registered in her name.