Public sector pay

When was this?

Harold Wilson's government.

Dont be forget the public sector have very large and influential unions on their side who are not happy until each and every worker is able to afford tea at the Ritz at least twice a week and will depict each and every member as something akin to Oliver pleading for more until they get it.

There is some truth in that. I was sub-contracted to a council some time back where their union had successfully argued that it wasn't fair that the office staff could adjourn to the canteen for their tea break and all the works gangs could not...

I'll leave you to think about the consequence of that...

There have been numerous claims by studies that the public sector is paid (in affect) more than the private sector when you count the additional perks, early retirement options and pensions.

They might well be correct, but when the size of the organisations are taken into account, council employees are under paid.

Dont be forget the public sector have very large and influential unions on their side who are not happy until each and every worker is able to afford tea at the Ritz at least twice a week and will depict each and every member as something akin to Oliver pleading for more until they get it.

You must be thinking about the railway unions, very few public sector unions have any real power, unless you mean with the Labour party.

Mark Serwotka of the Public and Commercial Services Union (PCS), is very good, but do they have power?

I am sure public sector workers would be happy with an independent board setting their pay.

They might well be correct, but when the size of the organisations are taken into account, council employees are under paid..

Do you have any evidence of this? What comparison are you making when you refer to council staff?

Do you have any evidence of this? What comparison are you making when you refer to council staff?

All the information is in the link in the first post, which is below.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160107090910/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171776_383355.pdf

I would say the ONS are a pro-Government organisation, so they should be trustworthy.

All the information is in the link in the first post, which is below.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160107090910/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171776_383355.pdf

I would say the ONS are a pro-Government organisation, so they should be trustworthy.

Where is the council staff comparison?

Where is the council staff comparison?

Why single out council staff?

Guest sibon

I see that the forum Tories have the knives out for the overpaid nurses, teachers and firefighters once again. It is a good job that some in the cabinet understand that public opinion and diehard Tory opinion are very different things.

Why single out council staff?

You did.

They might well be correct, but when the size of the organisations are taken into account, council employees are under paid..

I want to know how you come to this conclusion.

---------- Post added 17-07-2017 at 13:32 ----------

I see that the forum Tories have the knives out for the overpaid nurses, teachers and firefighters once again. It is a good job that some in the cabinet understand that public opinion and diehard Tory opinion are very different things.

Im not a Tory but I do not see this in the thread. People are questioning the information that is being provided to us by both sides. Thats not "knives out" as you put it. I would say that's more an indication of your own opinion labeling all Torys.

Certainly not seen that. 'Public sector' includes a lot of different jobs, not just those you mention.

I want to know how you come to this conclusion.

"public sector was between 3.3% and 4.3% lower than the private sector"

Council employees are part of the 'public sector'.