Anyone here from Attercliffe?

Hi

I wasn't born in Attercliffe but my dad was, his name was Frank Grayson and his sister Betty Wade lived in Colleridge Road. His dad died when he was a few weeks old and his mother married again to a man named Marshall. Aunty Betty worked a little sweet shop on the opposite corner and I remember there was a great fish & chip shop further down Collereidge road. Does anyone remember my dad or his family?

My dad passed on now, He used to drink with a guy called Frank Grayson. They used to go to a pub called the Gate Inn and The Salutation. Not to mention many others down the Cliff.

Originally posted by brooksy

anyone on here been in goodfellas, dog and partridge, if you annt its probably to late. was told in the carlton on attercliffe that its up for sale for 750,000 and the guy who owns the station, kings head and the other one near banners is buying it. never thought a lap dancing bar was a goon idea down attercliffe.

Hi Brooksy, - last time I went in the D&P it was a pub !! :D , and the Carlton was a probation office ;) . Used to go in the Queens Head when the big Irishman had it and that Wards pub (can't remember the name) just down the road from the Robin Hood. BTW is the Robin Hood chippy still there ?

Used to go in the Greyhound occasionally when the Redfearns had it. If I can persuade the missus to drive me I might look you up in there...which nights are you always in ?

Originally posted by Grayson

Hi

I wasn't born in Attercliffe but my dad was, his name was Frank Grayson and his sister Betty Wade lived in Colleridge Road. His dad died when he was a few weeks old and his mother married again to a man named Marshall. Aunty Betty worked a little sweet shop on the opposite corner and I remember there was a great fish & chip shop further down Collereidge road. Does anyone remember my dad or his family?

Iwonder If that was the sweet shop that I used to go to when I went to see my Nan and Grandad. They lived at 485 Coleridge Road their surname was Burford.

hi greybeard i generally call in thurs after work and go in fri and sat. the landlord mark is sound and its generally a good night in there. let us no if you fancy a pint and a game of pool . cheers brooksy.

i lived on ripon street and and went to woodburn rd school then on to beaverhill any one remember reck back of ripon street

Hi Rogers & Gleighton

Can't remember names or places but my aunt Betty was always in the shop, she was small and round and always wore her slippers, we are talking 40 something years ago. Dad was a miner until 1942 then he worked in the steel industry, I'm not sure of the pubs he went into. My uncle and his brother (two brothers married two sisters) worked at a big steelworks near Coleridge road (Brown's ???)

Not quite in Attercliffe but does anyone remember a corner shop on Petre Street in the late 40's/early 50's? I seem to remember they had a big dog.

hi, Grayson.

My memories of Coleridge rd go from about 1964ish. I remember getting a book from a wool shop further past the corner shop & wasn't there a co-op near the spare ground? I remember going to a circus there when I was little.

Hi Gleighton

when I go home tonight I will look at a 1950-60's map I have, it may give me a better memory of the area. We only went to attercliffe to visit and as I was in my best clothes I was not allowed to go out to play so never got to know the area just bits from stories my dad told me. He was born there but they moved to Ecclesall road before the war.

Originally posted by brooksy

hi greybeard i generally call in thurs after work and go in fri and sat. the landlord mark is sound and its generally a good night in there. let us no if you fancy a pint and a game of pool . cheers brooksy.

Thanks, - not much good at pool as I have the use of only one eye these days but haven't had a pint in a pub for nearly three years now, so that will be great. I'll PM you to check once I can fix a date.

I'd join you too Brooksy, but its a tad too far.