A southern yank with questions

Hi how about someone working in a greasy veras mobile van and all theviolence they see from behind the counter as all the drunks turn out of the nightclubs and his ambition to escape all of it

Thanks, Jim! That was an interesting read. Gotta love places like that. Your arteries might not, though, haha!

You mean you never went to a greasy veras mobile van i cant remember where it was but after a night of drinking there burgers tasted good bit like a kebab these days

Well, as I am American born and raised, no. But, I've also never been hung over. No joke. Kinda not a smart thing for me to do considering I am epileptic. Plus, I haaaaaate to puke and I deal with headaches enough as it is. But some I know who have found themselves in that position swear by mac n cheese, greasy burgers, and other stuff as perfect hangover cuisine.

Working Class 60s and 70s? Attercliffe and Pitsmoor come to mind. Also, Parson Cross estate and Wybourn estate. Good luck with your book.

Working Class 60s and 70s? Attercliffe and Pitsmoor come to mind. Also, Parson Cross estate and Wybourn estate. Good luck with your book.

Thanks. Gonna need it!

Hi! My name is Jennifer and, as the thread title indicates, I am a Yank from the Southern US. At present, I am working on the super-duper-ultra rough draft of (what I hope will be) a novel whose secondary protagonist is a Brit ex-pat living in my neck of the woods from (drumroll!), yes, Sheffield. So, I have lots of questions about the city -- it's history, geography, lifestyles, etc.

My character is a chef/restaurateur who comes from a working-class background. So, I am curious about neighborhoods wherein the child of a working-class family would have grown up back in the 60's and 70's. Primarily because I am thinking he might have named his establishment it.

So, if anyone can help me with this, it would be great. Tooling around on the web willy-nilly is either getting me too much information or not enough. Other than a "boots on the ground" approach, which isn't doable at the moment or in the foreseeable future, this is it.

He would have gone to Granville College which had a great catering course and done his City and Guilds .

If he was a bit cleverer he would have done a Higher National Diploma at Sheffield Polytechnic.

So, is City and Guilds like an apprenticeship program or something? Because that is what my research is bearing out. And is Sheffield Polytechnic now Sheffield Hallam University?

There is also the excellent 'A Sheffield Boy' by Keith Farnsworth, not much about cooking in it though.

(Pardon me for that Roger.)

So, is City and Guilds like an apprenticeship program or something? Because that is what my research is bearing out. And is Sheffield Polytechnic now Sheffield Hallam University?

City and Guilds certification is not an apprenticeship in itself, but a supplementary course of extra curricular training to compliment one's 'hands on' training in the workplace while serving your apprentice ship. Don't know about today, but in my day it was a good thing to pass and tag on to your trade certificate. Helped me a lot to get a job in Canada, and is still highly thought of in trades people's circles, over here. Sorry I have no idea on your 2nd query