A southern yank with questions

Andre, that Yorkshire Film Archive is a great link and some of the historic pieces of film look fascinating - but there appears to be no way of actually viewing them, we can only read the descriptions. Am I missing something crucial?

Jennifer, thanks for the vocabulary lesson. That "Fixin' to..." is perhaps a little better known in Britain as it appears in various blues songs (which quite few people over here like). I first encountered it in the title of a song by a (not blues) American singer called Country Joe: 'I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die'.

It must be down for maintenance or something? It is a great site and quite addictive. Some of the films are exceptional quality for the time.

I'll see if there is a different link??

It must be down for maintenance or something? It is a great site and quite addictive. Some of the films are exceptional quality for the time.

I'll see if there is a different link??

Thanks Andre, that would indeed be a kindness.

In that case his memories of Sheffield would include things like 'The Hole in The Road' pedestrian underpass (now gone), blue and cream buses with open rear platforms (still around but museum pieces now), the main Post Office building in Fitzalan Square (now a University art space I believe), buses travelling up and down The Moor and Fargate (now pedestrianised), very dirty buildings due to steel works emissions, and Redgates toy shop (now gone), parks and the surrounding countryside, and in his later teens ...... Wards best bitter (beer).

All can be Googled and would be undoubtedly imprinted in his memories.

In that case his memories of Sheffield would include things like 'The Hole in The Road' pedestrian underpass (now gone), blue and cream buses with open rear platforms (still around but museum pieces now), the main Post Office building in Fitzalan Square (now a University art space I believe), buses travelling up and down The Moor and Fargate (now pedestrianised), very dirty buildings due to steel works emissions, and Redgates toy shop (now gone), parks and the surrounding countryside, and in his later teens ...... Wards best bitter (beer).

All can be Googled and would be undoubtedly imprinted in his memories.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 09:55 ----------

can anyone provide info on council estates in the handsworth area circa 1950s and 1960s?

---------- Post added 19-03-2017 at 10:05 ----------

OK, so I think I have settled on a name for my character's restaurant. It's something that draws on Sheffield's metalworks history and the seafaring history of the town where he currently resides.

That aside, now I'm really interested in learning more about Sheffield itself. What it would have been like for someone growing up there in the 1960s and 70s.

Edited by msjhord

The Manor estate to the west, Hackenthorpe and parts of Woodhouse to the south. North of Handsworth is another town, Rotherham and to the East is predominantly private housing.

Jennifer, you have to wait until someone else posts before posting again otherwise your new posts just get tagged onto your own previous post.

The 'Forge and Anchor'?

Edited by mad-dad

Jennifer, you have to wait until someone else posts before posting again otherwise your new posts just get tagged onto your own previous post.

The 'Forge and Anchor'?

(snort!) Yeah, I kinda figured that out early on. Hope that's not messing up the flow of things.

I've actually thought about that for a name. Just need it to be two things that could also be used for eating. I suppose you could eat those things if you really tried hard, and were absolutely mad, but it wouldn't end well for you.

Thinking something like, The Blade and Hook. Not that you can eat those, either, but you cut food with a blade and catch fish (to eat) with a hook.

Or, The Sheaf and Cape. That one, of course, after the River Sheaf and the Cape near here. I don't know.

The Sheaf Galley.

The Cutler's Berth.

The Crab and Plate.

Something that he would probably have had to endure growing up in the 60's was a continuous round of smacks from adults .... teachers, parents and any adult who thought a smack around the ear was warranted.

His parents probably didn't own a car, fridge, telephone nor television during this period.

The 70's perked up a little though:)