House of lord brexit

Looking at the countries/group 'that matter', in descending order (figs variously across 2013-2016):

US debt to GDP ratio 104.2%

€zone debt to GDP ratio 90.7%

UK debt to GDP ratio 90.6%

EU debt to GDP ratio 87.4%

Germany debt to GDP ratio 78.4%

China debt to GDP ratio 43.9%

But then, the devil is in the detail, as always:

Very true as you are quoting the eurozone and the EU and comparing them with countries GDP.

Out of the EU countries the top are:

Greece @ 183.44

Italy @ 133.24

Portugal @ 128.45

Cyprus @ 106.72

Belgium @ 105.83

Spain @ 100.08

France @ 97.15

So when you take individual countries in the EU the outlook for some is rather bleak. The data is the skewed as an average is then taken for all EU countries and used for the whole EU as if it was a separate country.

Very true as you are quoting the eurozone and the EU and comparing them with countries GDP.

Out of the EU countries the top are:

Greece @ 183.44

Italy @ 133.24

Portugal @ 128.45

Cyprus @ 106.72

Belgium @ 105.83

Spain @ 100.08

France @ 97.15

So when you take individual countries in the EU the outlook for some is rather bleak. The data is the skewed as an average is then taken for all EU countries and used for the whole EU as if it was a separate country.

Not a problem if you're operating a fully federal system like the US. Horse before cart you see.

Implemented a single currency before getting the European people to agree to enough of a federal system to make it work.

The data is the skewed as an average is then taken for all EU countries and used for the whole EU as if it was a separate country.
Indeed, and we could drill down to the respective sizes of these economies relative to others, including the UK's, for further fun and games...but then, and topically in all things 'Brexit', you suddenly remember that they will all be negotiating with the UK with pooling individual interests substantially as one bloc :)

Have we circled this square and can we move on yet?

I want my rights guaranteed, so I can start paying tax in this country again and shelve the P45s warming up for my British support staff :D

Edited by L00b

I want my rights guaranteed, so I can start paying tax in this country again and shelve the P45s warming up for my British support staff :D

I want that too. I think the vast majority of us do.

All I can really promise right now is that I shall loudly object if the government try to do otherwise.

We're not burning down the house. We're moving out of a room we leased in it.

How would it be if your landlord told you you owed her 3 extra years of rent when you moved out?

If they wanted to implement a leaving fee, they could have included it in the treaty. Of course it would not have been ratified and might not even have been enforceable, but at least they would have a point then.

If you had signed up for a 4 year contract and left after one year you would legally owe your landlord 3 years rent unless they agreed to a mutual surrender.

If you had signed up for a 4 year contract and left after one year you would legally owe your landlord 3 years rent unless they agreed to a mutual surrender.

We signed an open ended contract the terms of which state we can leave at any time giving 2 years notice. It's called the Lisbon treaty.

We signed an open ended contract the terms of which state we can leave at any time giving 2 years notice. It's called the Lisbon treaty.

So do they want 2 or 3 years money? I haven't been following this bit.

Same thing here. I don't get this, when will this get in motion? Both, rights for UK citizens in EU and EU citizens here? Before or after article 50 next month or in next 2 years, during negotiations?

So do they want 2 or 3 years money? I haven't been following this bit.

They've not fully explained it.

Looks like they want us to keep them from hitting a cliff-edge in terms of EU operations by funding up to the end of the budget cycle (2020).

Problem with that is that we used to pay in and take out (albeit take out less). They will want us to pay in and get nothing out.

There's also the question of the unfunded liability for EU pension holders. Which I think is a stronger case.

It is about time the house of lords was disbanded.They are unelected which makes them undemocratic and are made up mostly of tory and labour party donors and ex politicians and other nobodies.Time to get rid of them.

It is about time the house of lords was disbanded.They are unelected which makes them undemocratic and are made up mostly of tory and labour party donors and ex politicians and other nobodies.Time to get rid of them.

I agree it needs to be disbanded in its current form and another elected house needs setting up in its place. The thing about all this anyway is the government can just ignore their attempted, ill thought out amendments anyway.

Maybe we can have a referendum on that now but this time make it legally binding. :)

good old SF all but a few seem to want to wander of topic, i for one think that we should protect the status of our nationals living and working abroard, to do that it would be disastrous to allow this amendment to stand.

Strange how few have defended our expat population working living in the EU

Edited by phil752