How will the Trump presidency affect BREXIT ?

We have a common language with America. Their legal system is based on the principles of English law. We watch a lot of American television programs including their News networks. About four million British people visit America each year. We share the same common values as Americans. Americans are great people.

How do know that if every EU country had a referendum, that many would not choose to do what the UK did, and vote to leave the EU ?

Far far more than 4 million people visit Europe every year, and they don`t have an horrendous time getting through immigration to do it, as many do who visit the USA. In fact nearly 10 million went to Spain alone.

They are very very different from us, and other Europeans in my experience. Most of them rarely set foot out of their own country, though they get hardly any work holidays so that might explain some of it. But not all, they`re very inward looking, not really that bothered about the rest of the world, certainly if it doesn`t affect them directly. Their attitude to public services, particularly health, is the biggest difference. In the UK the NHS is a religion, in the USA their now president has said he`s going to get rid of what relatively poor health care provision they have for their poorer citizens.

The only thing we have in common with the USA (as in more so than the average European country), is the language.

Americans you meet whilst travelling are great, but they`re a minority in their own land. I suspect relatively few Americans who travel a lot voted Trump, just like Brexit in fact.

---------- Post added 09-01-2017 at 13:40 ----------

He will probably make it worse. He'll make life a lot harder for so many different sections of society.

Women, who he disrespects.

The disabled, who he mocks.

Muslims, who he hates.

He will cosy up to Putin and the two of them will dictate to the middle east and start another cold war with Europe.

I hope he is assassinated!

And do you think, that hoping Donald Trump is assassinated, makes you a better human being than him ?

He`s joking, though I know what he means. I`d like it if he simply disappeared, like a bad dream. Particularly as we`re due to leave the EU and will be more dependent on someone like him (a consistent advocate of trade tariffs) than we otherwise would. That alone makes me sick to my stomach, to be frank I can`t really understand any Brexiteer who isn`t a bit concerned about it, not that they`d admit it I suppose.

He will probably make it worse. He'll make life a lot harder for so many different sections of society.

Women, who he disrespects.

The disabled, who he mocks.

Muslims, who he hates.

He will cosy up to Putin and the two of them will dictate to the middle east and start another cold war with Europe.

I hope he is assassinated!

That's an early contender for wobbler of the year!

The US will partake WITH Russia in a cold war WITH Europe??

Relax, in his normal day to day life he isn't sexist, homophobic, against normal Muslims or disrespectful to the disabled.

As for Russia, he has no truck with the CIA and the military industrial complex's agenda of having another lucrative cold war, which their puppet Hillary was all about.

That's an early contender for wobbler of the year!

Relax, in his normal day to day life he isn't sexist, homophobic, against normal Muslims or disrespectful to the disabled.

As for Russia, he has no truck with the CIA and the military industrial complex's agenda of having another lucrative cold war, which their puppet Hillary was all about.

How do you know how Trump acts in his normal day to day life? He is certainly those things in the public sphere, which is worse, as a lot more people see them.

How do you know how Trump acts in his normal day to day life? He is certainly those things in the public sphere, which is worse, as a lot more people see them.

I think such is the nature of the American media the election campaign caused him to act the buffoon, to stand out against the other candidates, and it worked; you'll notice he hasn't said anything particularly outrageous since winning, and he won't.

Do you think he'd have made the connections he's made down the years in his business life being a sexist racist bigot? There's plenty of evidence that shows that he isn't that at all.

I think such is the nature of the American media the election campaign caused him to act the buffoon, to stand out against the other candidates, and it worked; you'll notice he hasn't said anything particularly outrageous since winning, and he won't.

Do you think he'd have made the connections he's made down the years in his business life being a sexist racist bigot? There's plenty of evidence that shows that he isn't that at all.

Hes tweeted lots of farily offensive stuff since he won - have a read. Theres evidence of him being a bigot. However theres plenty of evidence showing he wont be sexist, he will be fair minded and even look at free/affordable healthcare and rights for gay people.

His core voters wont like that at all.

But the tapes of him being sexist were from long before this presidential campaign - so it didn't seem to bother his business connections then.

It is therefore not the case that those comments were because he was trying to stand out from other candidates.

But the tapes of him being sexist were from long before this presidential campaign - so it didn't seem to bother his business connections then.

It is therefore not the case that those comments were because he was trying to stand out from other candidates.

If you're referring to the "grab them by the pussy" incident, that was , as he put it, "locker room talk", (that we're all guilty of from time to time if we're being honest) which wasn't meant for anyone's ears, other than the guy he was speaking to in the back of that coach. Its the American media that subjected the world to it, not Donald Trump.

Putin has knives drawn out for Europe, he needs it 'neutralised' for restoring a buffer zone to his west.

I can see him manoeuvring Trump to start disengaging the US from NATO/European support, which would help his purposes immeasurably.

One way to do that would be to increase tensions to the west of Trump, and Putin is on significantly better terms with Jinping than with Trump. Jinping needs Russian resources at least as much as US trade if not more...US-China trade which Trump has been calling into question (moreover putting his diplomatic foot in his mouth with China several times) since his win.

Trump looks to me to be still more insular than Obama, and that's saying some. He'll let Putin have a field run over the next few years, wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Russian Fed swallowing the rest of Ukraine and a few more in that timeframe, with much protest but little molesting if any.

If you're referring to the "grab them by the pussy" incident, that was , as he put it, "locker room talk", (that we're all guilty of from time to time if we're being honest) which wasn't meant for anyone's ears, other than the guy he was speaking to in the back of that coach. Its the American media that subjected the world to it, not Donald Trump.

Ah so you're in the 'locker room talk' club.

None of the people I know would use such talk, whether in a 'locker room' or not.

So it's the media's fault, right...