Sign in to follow this  

Martial Arts Instructors

It depends on what you want to achieve really.

A mastery of one style is going to make you a less effective fighter than being a 2/3rds master in several.

It's a case of diminishing returns I think. Spending 10 hrs training something you're already good at, will add less to your overall game than spending 10 hrs training in an area you know yourself to be deficient in.

Hi Westley

Yes I want a good amateur kickboxing circuit to flourish in sheffield. If you like I can invite you to the first show to have a look and maybe do some judging or something?

The purist gyms dont have to share in the circles of knowledge etc, just that we should be part of an unofficial "guild" if you like so we all recommend and endorse each other as it were. That way there harbours no bitterness between instructors.

For example: I would be happy to send someone who has small kids who want to do kickboxing towards Marsdens in Hillsborough and for people who want to train at Malin Bridge I would recommend Paul Powers . Or even recommend people to go to say, Terry Johnsons Woodhouse based Karate Dojo for example

That make sense so far?

Crayfish ,

Hmm yeah it is possible that "cad" could be you :) You train BJJ something like 3 times a week (dont you?) and turn up to AFK whenever we want to go to that Kurdish place. Then again it could be any of the other 3/4 guys who are from BJJ couldnt it? That would be telling :P

Im actually starting to like BJJ to be honest.

AFK went through an era when a lot of Taekwondo stylists (mainly TAGB) would train with us on the side and would fight for both clubs in both disciplines and an era before that when this Kung Fu club would visit us on Friday night for a good old fashioned "fight club".

It depends on what you want to achieve really.

A mastery of one style is going to make you a less effective fighter than being a 2/3rds master in several.

It's a case of diminishing returns I think. Spending 10 hrs training something you're already good at, will add less to your overall game than spending 10 hrs training in an area you know yourself to be deficient in.

i'd pretty much agree with that, especially the first line. mastering one style may provide sufficient return if competing in that style, and it should also teach a lot of the necessary physical skills required for self-defence, but it will leave most likely leave you deficient in some areas, and will most likely be inadequate if you were to enter a MMA contest.

I wasn't dissing judo. They are very good at what they do.

You don't see any pure judo players in the UFC though and I think that's because judo is just a subset of a minimum rules fight.

it didn't come across like anyone was dissing judo, and unless you're really top notch it might not be anyone's first choice if you could do only one style for self-defence or mma, but its stand-up grappling is comparable with the better stand-up grappling styles and it requires a great deal of fitness and physical toughness, so it could be a valuable (if not necessary) component of a self-defence/mma program.

Hi Westley

Crayfish ,

Hmm yeah it is possible that "cad" could be you :) You train BJJ something like 3 times a week (dont you?) and turn up to AFK whenever we want to go to that Kurdish place. Then again it could be any of the other 3/4 guys who are from BJJ couldnt it? That would be telling :P

Im actually starting to like BJJ to be honest.

Mm, Kurdish :)

Nah, actually. Wish I had time, only making it once / not at all at the moment. In good times I make it that much though.

Going to get fat over these exams with no training, I may actually be a blimp when you see me next

I'm not quite sure where this thread is going, but I thought I'd throw in my bit just to muddy the waters further.

I've always taken the "purist" view on my training, and limited my training solely to Shotokan. There's obviously limitations to the system and I'd love to dabble in a few different styles - for fun and interest's sake, if nothing else.

I totally support the idea of fostering closer working links between the different martial arts clubs in Sheffield - I'm sure we all have ideas to share and we'd all benefit from "cross-pollination".

The main problem, as Cyclone says, is finding time for it all.

I know there was a post a few months ago regarding a mixed martial art seminar. Did anything come of this idea?

I would just like to let you all know my forum is up and running now and it has a section for serous conversations on martial arts in south Yorkshire. You can find it at http://www.mfcba.co.uk

Now that we have covered so much ground, has anyone got any Horror Stories of martial arts instructors to avoid? You do not have to give names just the story.

LOL

Maybe we need a thread entitled "Abusive Instructors" ?

There is a tai chi man (PY) up Newcastle not good for martial arts even if he can do the stuff.

He Talks about cake to much and He thinks he can move people with his chi but will not prove it other than on his own students?????????

All sounds quite bad, but the cake pretty much makes up for it

Mmm, cake

Think I might have seen a demonstration by that guy or someone similar, looked very dubious (e.g. punch a pad then 2 seconds later the padman leaps in the air)

I know he got run out of America at a demonstration lol so that says something.