Sheffield Round Walk

Tomm06

Looking to do this at some point soon when I have a free weekend. Done a fair bit of walking around Derwent, Burbage etc, but fancy giving this a try.

I'm sure some of you on here have done it, or stages of it, wondering what sort of terrain I will be experiencing. Done a bit of research and will expect woodland and some damp patches throughout, but will it get THAT muddy where I might need to prepare for?

Looking to do this at some point soon when I have a free weekend. Done a fair bit of walking around Derwent, Burbage etc, but fancy giving this a try.

I'm sure some of you on here have done it, or stages of it, wondering what sort of terrain I will be experiencing. Done a bit of research and will expect woodland and some damp patches throughout, but will it get THAT muddy where I might need to prepare for?

You wil certainly get muddy in the Eccy Woods to Greenhill section at the moment. My walking boots will vouch for that.

Here is an interesting blog to give you some ideas.

That is in fact incredibly helpful. Since I am the only one out of my circle of friends willing to do this, I find I often have to bend the truth or neglect to tell them the distances. If I tell them it's a pub crawl they're more likely to come :D

A group of about 8 of us did this walk in September, starting from the Norfolk Arms at Ringinglow. Easy to park, but last section is uphill! Doing it again in About three weeks, starting Nether Edge.

I dont recall it being that muddy though. We reckoned nearer 16 miles.

The section up porter brook is muddy when really wet, but not boggy at all.

Limb valley can get boggy for the first half a mile or so but once you're out of the field you're on good trail.

The rest is all hard packed trail and road.

It's a fantastic route, nicely marked - I run this one regularly - it's one of my favourites

I've ran the route as part of the round Sheffield race. Another boggy bit is the bit at the bottom in the woods near Newfield. It's a great run and the Limb Valley is my favourite bit.

Yesterday I did the Woodseats to Abbeydale road Twentywell and it was fine.