Traffic On Leopold Street

That's because you haven't thought about what has changed with the lights sequences.

It used to be:

Half the vehicles stop, half the vehicles go, pedestrians stop.

Half the vehicles go, half the vehicles stop, pedestrians stop.

All the vehicles stop, pedestrians go.

It now goes:

All the vehicles go, pedestrians stop.

All the vehicles stop, pedestrians go.

They've eliminated the waiting for the other vehicles step, speeding overall throughput - even for the buses.

Afraid I can't follow what you mean. Sorry.

For drivers though, they certainly haven't sped up the journey, as drivers should, in theory, have to do the ridiculous loop around at the top (although most simply do a u-turn).

Hi...

So, this week, the traffic on Leopold Street, heading towards Trippet Lane has been crazy. It backs up from the end of Leopold Street (near the junction with West St), all the way back towards where Kingdom was.

Has something changed with the road layout to cause this? Does anyone know?

I wondered whether something has changed near the Grosvenor or something to cause this, but can't find any info.

I work in the area, so was wondering as it's causing clients to be late etc.

Cheers

I noticed this at lunch time.

I don't think the two lorries trying to back up the side of the Bessemer were helping.

But it was queuing back to John Lewis. Normally you'd only get about 1 car every 5 mins coming through that way.

---------- Post added 12-10-2016 at 19:57 ----------

The right turn at the bottom of Cambridge St has been made turn left only. This pulls all traffic into the loop around Kingdom and onto Leopold. It's a right mess and expect this for months.

Here?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3792559,-1.4719806,3a,75y,144.35h,92.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKbLOIjCmNJTBgO4bEEssYQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Yep that's the one.

---------- Post added 12-10-2016 at 20:23 ----------

Are they not pulling the grosvenor hotel down?

I would assume they have got no choice but to divert traffic.

You're right. There isn't a lot of choice. All the other 'escape roads' are now blocked, busgated, or also alongside the demolition area.

Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to make a tarmac ramp from Cambridge street across the pavement onto Charles Street, allowing traffic to escape onto Pinstone Street and therefore down to the roundabout with Arundel Gate. It would provide an alternative for John Lewis traffic but of course, that would require a degree of logic :rolleyes:

Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to make a tarmac ramp from Cambridge street across the pavement onto Charles Street, allowing traffic to escape onto Pinstone Street and therefore down to the roundabout with Arundel Gate. It would provide an alternative for John Lewis traffic but of course, that would require a degree of logic :rolleyes:

Perhaps the demolition contractors and council have far more logic than you.

Putting a "ramp" where you say is far too close to the the work site. In fact if you did that, traffic would be driving only a couple of metres at most from the very thing they are trying to pull down. Also its not just as simple as plonking some tarmac down. There is planning approval to be obtained, pavements to be adjusted, road markings, signage, traffic management to consider. How long do you think that will take?

Annoying as im sure it is, they have got to get the job done. People have been demanding the place is pulled down, now it is, people are moaning because the traffic is heavy.

Its temporary and for a few months. Its just one of those things.

Edited by ECCOnoob

They have already achieved most of that to send people the wrong way down a 1 way street haven't they?

Perhaps putting up some signs, right back up by the corner of John Lewis, telling people that it's John Lewis parking only or something would help... As it is people could be intending to go to the other side of town (towards Waitrose) and instead end up in a diversion and a long queue back to where they started.