What is software counterfeiting?

babes5

if you want to use it then pay for it.

its theft no matter how you look it or dress it up.

unfortunately that makes you the same as the little tea leaves breaking in your cars that you keep complaining about.

if you want to use it then pay for it.

its theft no matter how you look it or dress it up.

unfortunately that makes you the same as the little tea leaves breaking in your cars that you keep complaining about.

how so. Will Bill come out of his mansion this morning and find a jewel case smashed up on his lawn, the cd missing and him needing to pay for repairs?

its copyright theft , stealing someones copyrighted goods or theft of intellectual property.the same pirating as music & dvd's.

the offence is exactly the same - even if it is seen as a victimeless crime.

along with conspiracy to defraud,statutory conspiracy to commit fraud, and other criminal activities.

so actually you commit more crimes countefeiting software and buying it,than you do committing burglary.

it's breach of copyright, making an unauthorised copy of someone elses intellectual property. It can't be theft, theft refers to the taking of an object or item. A 'copy' of windows is not a physical thing to be stolen, the original owner is not deprived of it by you making a copy.

I wasn't arguing that it's different to pirating music or films, just that it's different to taking a stereo, unless thieves can now take a copy of your stereo and leave the original intact.

Someone charging for illegal copies is guilty of the defrauding charges. A person taking a copy for personal use isn't.

I'm not arguing that piracy is right, just that it's not the same as stealing a car stereo.

well not wnating to argue the fine points of piracy - but the police webistes state "copyright theft" so good enough definition for me.

Copyright theft

Piracy is a crime

Report it : 08456 034 587

the following is an extract from FACT.

Offence: Conspiracy to Defraud Contrary to Common Law

It is an offence contrary to the common law for two or more persons to agree to embark on a course of conduct which, if the agreement is carried out in accordance with their intentions, will necessarily amount to or involve some third party being deprived of some thing which is his or to which he is or would be or might be entitled. The offence is extremely wide and even agreements which might have the effect of injuring a third party's proprietary rights in copyright material have been held to constitute the offence. (scott v metropolitan police commissioner [1975] ac 819

one or two people or more means the seller & the buyer.

It's not actually a "pirate" copy, just using the same disk to install in multiple pcs. Microsoft already know about it, guys, and he's been reprimanded apparently and has his wrist smacked, but that doesn't actually help me ... unless I want to pay the extra £100 ... or £92 if I buy online - jsut have to suffer the pop-up for now whilst I save up. :(

Ruby... I don't see how you can expect to pay for software when you've already accepted a working PC as-is from the shop.

I'd go with Wendygs's suggestions and approach with the T-alk (WTF Is that word in the filter for?!) quietly and carry a big stick option..

Given that the discussion is happening on a public forum that may well affect their future sales I think you have a big stick to wave around indeed.

well not wnating to argue the fine points of piracy - but the police webistes state "copyright theft" so good enough definition for me.

Copyright theft

Piracy is a crime

Report it : 08456 034 587

the following is an extract from FACT.

Offence: Conspiracy to Defraud Contrary to Common Law

It is an offence contrary to the common law for two or more persons to agree to embark on a course of conduct which, if the agreement is carried out in accordance with their intentions, will necessarily amount to or involve some third party being deprived of some thing which is his or to which he is or would be or might be entitled. The offence is extremely wide and even agreements which might have the effect of injuring a third party's proprietary rights in copyright material have been held to constitute the offence. (scott v metropolitan police commissioner [1975] ac 819

one or two people or more means the seller & the buyer.

So agreeing to borrow a friends windows disk is conspiracy to defraud. Installing your own single copy onto multiple pc's is not.

Copyright theft is just badly worded in my opinion. You cannot steal a copyright, unless we were to actually claim to own the copyright to windows.