Who will replace Labour as the main "progressive" voice in parliament?

See thread title  

34 members have voted

1. 1. See thread title

• The Liberal Democrats
    • A Labour break-away party
    • The SNP (a change of remit required there)
    • UKIP (substantial change in policy platform required one would think)
    • Another of the existing small parties
    • A brand new party
    • An Alliance of two or more of the above
    • I remain hopeful that Labour will survive its current problems

Theres a lot more than 28 voted against Corbyn in the no confidence motion...

I'd expect a large number certainly above 28 to consider breaking away, and as soon as there are some that will go more will follow. the 1980's showed how easy it can be to have modest success, and with a lot more established people moving I'd expect the success of a breakaway party to be much higher - and more likely.

Along with Brexit these are as the "Chinese curse" says, Interesting Times.

I don't think the Labour party will break up. In fact if anything it's going to have got past this phase in plenty of time for the general election. Elections are often there to be lost be the ruling party.

---------- Post added 17-09-2016 at 13:14 ----------

UKip should be the progressive voice, but as the way we vote has made it impossible for them to get more MP's into Westminster, so the Conservative party will remain in power for the next 10 years. Enjoy.

Angel1.

Ukip is not a progressive party

UKip should be the progressive voice, but as the way we vote has made it impossible for them to get more MP's into Westminster, so the Conservative party will remain in power for the next 10 years. Enjoy.

Angel1.

Ukip has a new leader, Diana James, and she seems pretty determined, even if they don't win, to make Ukip's influence count.

I think we should split the LibDems so we have a democratic party and a liberal party like the old days.

The liberals will then have a choice of where they want to be and leave the labour party to be the voice of the working classes.

Labour are not the voice of the working classes. They are in fact the voice of the public sector unions. That's not the same thing.

You can't expect the Lib Dems to split in order to help Labour out. It's Labour who are very likely to split and that's hardly the Lib Dems fault now is it.

---------- Post added 18-09-2016 at 23:52 ----------

Please tell me what policies of Corbyn's you particularly object to?

Whether or not one approves of Corbyn's policy platform is almost beside the point. The job is beyond him. I keep telling you that I respect your ideology, as much as we disagree, but you've got yourself a dud.

You don't have to change you're policy agenda dramatically. Just get somebody to lead who's up to the job.

It's too late now anyway. The party is doomed. Mainly because people like you did not listen to people like me whilst there was time to save it.

Having seen Jeremy Corbyn on Robert Peston's (awful) show, I'm more convinced than before that Labour with JC can win an election.

The Blairites are frantic...

Why are you convinced of this? The Blairites are frantic because Momentum are destroying the party. If they thought Corbyn could win, they'd cosy up to him to get good jobs.

Moderate electors will not vote for Corbyn.

I'm going to say this again because it doesn't seem to be getting through.

In fact a lot of Labour supporters will not vote for Corbyn.

By 2020 if corbyn is still running something notionally called the Labour party, the only people left voting Labour will be a few hundred thousand Momentum members. Oh they'll vote for him with great zeal and enthusiasm and be all over the internet telling us how we must embrace the bliss that is Corbyn.

Then the election results will come in and they'll be wiped out in parliament.

I think you'll do fine as a Lib Dem supporter. They're basically very similar except the public sector unions can't boss them around.

Edited by unbeliever

I'm going to say this again because it doesn't seem to be getting through.

And you know this because.....?

Where is your evidence?

Is it because you say so, and people do what they're told, if they're told it often enough.... because it didn't seem to work with Brexit, did it?

Realistically, the only way to find out for sure is in an election, and that's some time away. A lot can happen before then.

You don't seem to understand that the world has undergone a critical change since the banking crisis. People don't forget, they know a lot more than they used to, and they no longer trust the establishment. They're fed up to the back teeth with the old system and are looking for change.

I am a moderate. I know from experience that many Jeremy Corbyn supporters are moderates.And there are an awful lot of them. Not militant, not Marxist, not Momentum, just ordinary. But we are sick of being unheard and sh** on from a great height.

Rather than wasting your time disparaging Jeremy Corbyn, you'd better hope that Theresa May shapes up to do some of the things required, like leveling the playing field, and reintroducing some integrity. She could start with the Bankers and big Corporations. You never know, she could even try getting them to pay their tax!

And you know this because.....?

Where is your evidence?

Is it because you say so, and people do what they're told, if they're told it often enough.... because it didn't seem to work with Brexit, did it?

Realistically, the only way to find out for sure is in an election, and that's some time away. A lot can happen before then.

You don't seem to understand that the world has undergone a critical change since the banking crisis. People don't forget, they know a lot more than they used to, and they no longer trust the establishment. They're fed up to the back teeth with the old system and are looking for change.

I am a moderate. I know from experience that many Jeremy Corbyn supporters are moderates.And there are an awful lot of them. Not militant, not Marxist, not Momentum, just ordinary. But we are sick of being unheard and sh** on from a great height.

Rather than wasting your time disparaging Jeremy Corbyn, you'd better hope that Theresa May shapes up to do some of the things required, like leveling the playing field, and reintroducing some integrity. She could start with the Bankers and big Corporations. You never know, she could even try getting them to pay their tax!

I'm not sure you're reasonably described as a moderate.

The polls tell me, quite emphatically, that moderates will not vote for Corbyn. Ask some yourself.

The world hasn't changed. At last not for 90% of people.