Sorting my car out without going through insurance, void my insurance?

Hi people.

A week ago someone reversed into my car at amcdonalds drive through. I reported it to my insurance as it is a motability car and they have been trying to contact the driver.

The driver has since contacted me to ask if we could sort it without insurance and he'll pay for the work to be done at a motability approved garage.

Would I be allowed to do this and tell my insurance to cancel the claim or could it void my insurance?

As I understand it, you can do this. However, you still have to inform your insurance company that a claim has been made.

The other driver would also have to tell their insurance a claim has been made, which presumably they'll know because you have informed your insurance. If they don't then their insurance may be void (though not for 3rd parties).

As said, I believe both parties are obliged to notify their insurers of an accident even if neither insurer manages a claim. Certainly worth clarifying.

Maybe someone can advise on how you can ensure that the third party commits to a prompt repair and picking up the cost.

We had someone run into the back of us some while back, she was very keen to pay for the repair costs herself. Explained her insurance was sky high and she gave off a good impression.

We quickly got a few quotes, she kept stalling - wanted to check with her own garage, wasn't responding to calls. We gave her a reasonable amount of time with lots of prompts and then finally left a message with a deadline, which she ignored. So then we instructed our insurer to take it on. We got a stroppy message from her but we needed the car repaired and road legal. Unfortunately some people will take advantage.

As it's a Motability car, I would contact them to make sure it is ok by them. I suspect it will be but they do need to be notified

[/u]with it being a mobility car you have pay a fixed sum on reporting the bump and then if it is proved it was the other person fault you will get your money back do it with mobility way.

Normally bluedragon, you could do anything really. But the last 2 posts are the important ones here, not the insurance.

Like they say, ring them. You could end up out of pocket if the repair isn't to their redtape, when you come to change it.