New Ale House - The Itchy Pig, Broomhill

Itchy Pig?? Pub names are supposed to reflect real life things or people, suppose the geeks want something to laugh over a half.

Hi, I live in Crookes, where is this so called pub located ?

495 Glossop Road

Itchy Pig?? Pub names are supposed to reflect real life things or people, suppose the geeks want something to laugh over a half.

Named after the proprietor's love of pork scratchings.

It's to do with pork scratchings apparently.

How is this place doing? I almost visited the other night as there was nowhere to sit in the York. Alas it was shut.

On 2 or 3 other occasions I've almost visited and it's either been shut because it's not scheduled to be open at that time (although it's a time when most pubs are open), or it's been shut even though it's supposed to be open. So I've still to visit. Maybe I need to make an appointment. It all seems a bit half-hearted to me, like they're not really sure if it's worth the effort opening.

Or is it in fact a roaring success that's the life and soul of Broomhill?

Edited by Bilge

'Kentish beer' or London beer'? My late dad -a well travelled man- used to say that once you got beyond Chesterfield going south, there was no such thing as good beer. London beer to him, was 'awful' and going further down from the capital to Kent, Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight etc, boarded on the undrinkable.

I agree with stpetre. I've lived in London for 38 years now and have never yet found a beer that I really love. Some of the Young's brewery cask ales are perfectly pleasant and I'm quite impressed with a recent cask ale - Camden Pale Ale - made by the Camden micro-brewery - but as stpetre correctly said, I've yet to find a truly delicious pint anywhere south of Chesterield.

I've travelled quite a lot around the UK in my job and, if you look hard enough, it's possible to find a decent beer in most towns and cities north of Sheff - but moving down through the midlands, the southeast and the southwest....well.. oh dearie me...forget it! The flattest, warmest, blandest & most unpleasant beers I've ever tried have been in Devon and Cornwall. I've never been impressed by Kentish ales either - despite Kent being the hop growing capital of the UK (allegedly)!

Scotland is pretty good though. A lot of people think of Scots as necking either crap gassy lager.... or "shorts"....but there are plenty of nice "proper" ales to be had up there too.

I agree with stpetre. I've lived in London for 38 years now and have never yet found a beer that I really love. Some of the Young's brewery cask ales are perfectly pleasant and I'm quite impressed with a recent cask ale - Camden Pale Ale - made by the Camden micro-brewery - but as stpetre correctly said, I've yet to find a truly delicious pint anywhere south of Chesterield.

I've travelled quite a lot around the UK in my job and, if you look hard enough, it's possible to find a decent beer in most towns and cities north of Sheff - but moving down through the midlands, the southeast and the southwest....well.. oh dearie me...forget it! The flattest, warmest, blandest & most unpleasant beers I've ever tried have been in Devon and Cornwall. I've never been impressed by Kentish ales either - despite Kent being the hop growing capital of the UK (allegedly)!

Scotland is pretty good though. A lot of people think of Scots as necking either crap gassy lager.... or "shorts"....but there are plenty of nice "proper" ales to be had up there too.

It is chalk from under the earth in the water that causes it with the south of England being ill-famed (not their fault tho') as the farther north you go the less or no chalk. I have had good beer in the north east and the best was in Dundee, Scotland, a country unsung for it's beer quality. To add to my dad's remarks that the worst he ever had was in London and Portsmouth and if it could possibly get any inferior because after Hampshire there was no further south. Alas the Isle of Wight and then west to Torquay where the local brew 'defied description'.

Hah! Thanks stpetre. So - it's the chalk! That explains why Kentish ales are so horrible. It's ever so chalky down there...White Cliffs of Dover... and all that. Most beers I've tried in various parts of Kent have one thing in common - they all taste like stagnant "pond-watter" ...and warm and flat most of 'em too! Ugh!!

It now has 14 ales/ciders on draught. 5 cask lines, 8 keg lines, and one lager.

On Tuesday it had Abbeydale's 4 degrees of Seperation, Magic Rock Salty Kiss and Tiny Rebel Stay Puft on Keg, also had Exit 33/Itchy Pig collab Sty PA on cask, amongst others.

Also has cans of Magic Rock and Abbeydale stuff too.

It now has 14 ales/ciders on draught. 5 cask lines, 8 keg lines, and one lager.

On Tuesday it had Abbeydale's 4 degrees of Seperation, Magic Rock Salty Kiss and Tiny Rebel Stay Puft on Keg, also had Exit 33/Itchy Pig collab Sty PA on cask, amongst others.

Also has cans of Magic Rock and Abbeydale stuff too.

What are your opening hours?

Monday Closed

Tuesday 3–10:30pm

Wednesday 3–10:30pm

Thursday 3–10:30pm

Friday 12–11pm

Saturday 12–11pm

Sunday 3–10:30pm