Media influence on politics

A negative influence then! Still relevant.

Like I say, your inability to read between the lines is not my concern.

The fact if it is that whether its a positive or a negative influence that all media from a poxy pamphlet or lowly leaflet to a big billboard or an awesome advertisement all have influence on people.

You can accept that or not but to disregard them in their ability to sway opinion is daft.

Even the silly soap operas were prevented by very strict rules to display any allegiance to a side, why do you think that was?!

The fact if it is that whether its a positive or a negative influence that all media from a poxy pamphlet or lowly leaflet to a big billboard or an awesome advertisement all have influence on people.

You can accept that or not but to disregard them in their ability to sway opinion is daft.

Even the silly soap operas were prevented by very strict rules to display any allegiance to a side, why do you think that was?!

Because people like you would moan if not.

Calm down, my God, it is almost like you two are excited. Speaking of excited, a Dutch TV program used my Dutch party to discuss the legality of XTC in parliament today.

I do think that it is all media, including talk shows, all media influence people one way or another. What I don't really, to an extend, have a problem with is media that pronounce, clearly, to be arguing from a particular point of view and admit bias in doing so. It is papers like the Daily Telegraph which continuously headlined about immigrants in the run up to the referendum that I have serious issue with. They have, in my opinion anyway, a responsibility for the spate of hate crime that occurred in the past days.

But, much deeper than that, is the influence of the 'moghuls' behind the scenes. This whole Tory leadership thing for example, you just KNOW that some chaps were meeting in the club in Islington to discuss things and are now manipulating the whole thing. Some chaps in this case being a host of billionaire Tory backers and certain media icons like Murdoch and Dacre.

That in particular makes me sick.

We still need investigative journalism.

I couldn't agree more.

However I would imagine that many investigations that are worthy are lengthy, laborious and expensive. And sometimes, they don't always yield the results which sells newspapers.

Perhaps people like their lifestyle and celebrity stuff too much :(

Because people like you would moan if not.

People like me? What are people like me then?

People like me? What are people like me then?

People who seem to object to lefty comics having an opinion. Because IT'S SO BIASED :mad:

---------- Post added 30-06-2016 at 19:48 ----------

I couldn't agree more.

However I would imagine that many investigations that are worthy are lengthy, laborious and expensive. And sometimes, they don't always yield the results which sells newspapers.

Perhaps people like their lifestyle and celebrity stuff too much :(

Exactly, why investigate a proper super injunction and D Notice barring the media from reporting, for example, on the behaviour of the FRU in NI when you can report on a celeb having sex in olive oil and his privacy injunction (not even remotely super) to protect his identity?

Edited by Radan

So you dont think a programme watched by 1.7 million people cant be influential?

Whether hosted by a comic or not.

The programme has recently put its self in the political arena with appearences by politicians of both sides and was up to now quite evenhanded with its treatment of them but recently seems to have nailed its own colours to the mast rather than trying to be unbiased, last nights programme was a definite sway to one side.

You mentioned mock the week,they seem to have a go at anyside and anyone and all in a jokey and entertaining way,no opinions aired, just jokes and banter,completely different.

I think the problem is that the references ive made arent high brow enough for your sensibilities therefore you wrongly think they can de dismissed.

Im afraid you are mistaken.

So you dont think a programme watched by 1.7 million people cant be influential?

Whether hosted by a comic or not.

The programme has recently put its self in the political arena with appearences by politicians of both sides and was up to now quite evenhanded with its treatment of them but recently seems to have nailed its own colours to the mast rather than trying to be unbiased, last nights programme was a definite sway to one side.

You mentioned mock the week,they seem to have a go at anyside and anyone and all in a jokey and entertaining way,no opinions aired, just jokes and banter,completely different.

I think the problem is that the references ive made arent high brow enough for your sensibilities therefore you wrongly think they can de dismissed.

Im afraid you are mistaken.

It seems to me you are complaining about a show that aired yesterday i.e. after the referendum. So how can that be biased?

It seems to me you have no idea what you are talking about.

In the sense that its reinforcing the misguided stereotypes on both sides of what a typical remain or leave voter is,and that has bearing on opinion.

In the sense that its reinforcing the misguided stereotypes on both sides of what a typical remain or leave voter is,and that has bearing on opinion.

So you against lefty comics mocking obvious imbeciles in case it rubs off on you?

Ok.

Obvious imbeciles!

Great statement that tells me all i need to know.

Thanks.

Rub off on myself? No. Rub off on others,maybe.

Thats why the broadcasting rules re advertising and soap operas are in place.

Not decided by me by the way of course, im just a lowly commoner.

The fact those rules exist means that they have been deemed necessary by someone, and for a valid reason that seems to elude you.

Edited by yellowperil