Tenants have an 'access' problem!

There are lots of new rules and laws regarding dogs; the owners of the Akita may well want to keep on side. They may get issues all the time, they may be helpfull ;)

Did they move in after the neighbours with the dog? Did they know about the neighbours having a dog?

Just because the tenants aren't dog people and don't like it doesn't mean a whole bunch. The dog hasn't presented any threat.

A dog must be under control, not exactly sure what that means.

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 13:23 ----------

Not keen on Japanese Akitas myself, I know of a few times that they have bitten/worried people/dogs.

Got a phone call this morning off of one of my tenants, sounding quite harressed!

The next door neighbour has a japenese Akita! it's a massive dog.. I have actually met it and she's very lovely but can jump up and get overly kiddy!

Anyway, apparently my tenants can't get out of the back gate (seperate gardens but with shared access to the end gate to get onto the road) because this dog is stopping them!! Apparently she is pearing over the fence at them and is ALWAYS in the garden! My tenants are a married couple with two young children and not what you call dog people..

They can get out using the front door but the issue is that they park on the side road and he feels he shouldn't have to walk all the way round, especially if he has shopping bags etc as it states the access is shared on the back entrance..

I told him to leave it with me and i'll speak with the neighbours but seriously!! what the hell am i suppose to say to them??

Am i supposed to tel them to not allow their dog on their garden?

Its a tricky one and any suggestions would be welcome x

You sound like my landlord. He is a caring and helpful soul who helps his tenants and doesnt just see them as £ signs. Well done and I mean that sincerely.

Did they move in after the neighbours with the dog? Did they know about the neighbours having a dog?

Yes they have lived there for nearly 4 yrs now and the next door neighbours got the dog around 11mnths ago as a puppy. I think the issue is that the dog has become a very large dog and the breed does get a bad rep unfortunately!

As a dog lover it wouldnt bother me in the slightest but i have to appreciate that some people dont like dogs and can be quite fearful of them.

The situation i find myself in is, my tenants have every right to access the back gate entrance and are obvious disturbed by the appearance of the dog.. I can't exactly tell somone who may be fearful of dogs to not worry about it and that she won't hurt them! But i also feel slightly embarressed to bring it up with the neighbours..

Its an awkward one, that's for sure. But if there's any legal right of access then the dog owners have a responsibility to ensure that the access is hindrance-free.

Yes they have lived there for nearly 4 yrs now and the next door neighbours got the dog around 11mnths ago as a puppy. I think the issue is that the dog has become a very large dog and the breed does get a bad rep unfortunately!

As a dog lover it wouldnt bother me in the slightest but i have to appreciate that some people dont like dogs and can be quite fearful of them.

The situation i find myself in is, my tenants have every right to access the back gate entrance and are obvious disturbed by the appearance of the dog.. I can't exactly tell somone who may be fearful of dogs to not worry about it and that she won't hurt them! But i also feel slightly embarressed to bring it up with the neighbours..

I know you'd like to help but they are the legal tenants. Just say you've been round and spoke to the guy. Really they should be building a relationship with the neighbour then he might be more sympathetic

Nothing you can do about it, let the dog run free and tell the tenants to grow up.

You sound like my landlord. He is a caring and helpful soul who helps his tenants and doesnt just see them as £ signs. Well done and I mean that sincerely.

Treat people how you'd like to be treated :thumbsup:

Plus they never give me any bother at all and this was so out of the blue so i'd like to at least try to alleviate the situation as much as possible for them.

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 13:55 ----------

Nothing you can do about it, let the dog run free and tell the tenants to grow up.

Yeah alright! thanks for the extremely helpful input!

You deal with tenants who pay good money to reside in your proprty on a regular basis do you??? if you did you certainly wouldnt speak to them like that!

Dimwit

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 13:57 ----------

I know you'd like to help but they are the legal tenants. Just say you've been round and spoke to the guy. Really they should be building a relationship with the neighbour then he might be more sympathetic

That was my very first suggestion but unfortunately he doesnt feel he can do that and has now put it on my toes so i need to at least try to help.

But you would think after living next door to someone for 4 yrs you'd at least form some sort of relationship..

Edited by Chelle-82

Treat people how you'd like to be treated :thumbsup:

Plus they never give me any bother at all and this was so out of the blue so i'd like to at least try to alleviate the situation as much as possible for them.

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 13:55 ----------

Yeah alright! thanks for the extremely helpful input!

You deal with tenants who pay good money to reside in your proprty on a regular basis do you??? if you did you certainly wouldnt speak to them like that!

Dimwit

---------- Post added 27-05-2016 at 13:57 ----------

That was my very first suggestion but unfortunately he doesnt feel he can do that and has now put it on my toes so i need to at least try to help.

But you would think after living next door to someone for 4 yrs you'd at least form some sort of relationship..

Who'd be a landlord!

Its an awkward one, that's for sure. But if there's any legal right of access then the dog owners have a responsibility to ensure that the access is hindrance-free.

This is what i think too..

What i might do is just have a quiet word with them, blame it on the kids next door saying they are afraid of dogs etc (always good to blame kids, tugs on the heart strings and all that :hihi: ) and then see if there is any difference..

I'm just slightly concerned they may take offence and if the situation doesnt change then where does that leave me?

So you say "treat people as you would want to be treated" and then call me a "dimwit".

I own four properties that I rent out, one in Dore, another in Totley and two in crosspool. I doubt your tenant pay you what I would consider to be "good money".

Your tenants are adults and if they have a problem with a bloody dog.