Sheffield golfer Danny Willett wins the Masters golf!

sheff71

Can anyone shed some light on this lads background. Around 19 years ago I was a member at Bondhay which is mentioned, I'm now a member at Phoenix where he has a trophy named after him and where he's done a few demonstration days but last night commentators made reference to him being at Rotherham Gc. So which part of Sheffield/Rotherham is he from and where did he play his golf.

Huge well done as well to him!

He plays out of Rotherham GC now.

I know when he was a junior he was a member up at Birley, where I think he had his first lessons. He lived on hackenthorpe at the time, I'm sure his father was the local vicar .

Him mum and dad were on Radio 4 this morning, and his brother was on the Chris Evans show. According to somebody on the tenuous links part of the Chris Evans show, his mum is a teacher at Silverdale.

Peter Allis mentioned that he had had complaints from viewers in Rotherham for saying he was from Sheffield, and apologised. So clearly Sheffield and Rotherham folk are keen to claim him as their own.

Played for municipal golf club Birley Wood Golf Club as a junior in 2003 and Won The NAPGC Wilkinson Sword for Birley in 2003 and 2004 and probably would have won it in 2005 but got picked for English Boys instead, junior membership at Birley only £5, pictures of Wilkinson Sword on Birley Wood facebook page Birley Wood or follow on twitter @BirleyWoodGC Cheers Dave Cronshaw Junior Manager Birley Wood GC

Root

Ennis

Brook

Willets

Fitzpatrick

Vardy

Matthew

Root

We should be shouting this from the rooftops as a city!!

What about Nazeem..?

But on the subject of Danny Willett what a massive victory for the 29 year old...Hope he remains in Rotherham but somehow I can't see it :)

The Masters reminded me a tad of the Olympics. If you recall, Yorkshire proudly boasted that its athletes would - on their own - have been twelfth in the medal table. Well, Sheffield (or at least its 'metropolitan borough') featured three of the top seven players of the tournament, more than any other entire country on earth.

Remarkable. And yet this city still doesn't have the balls to call itself the City of Golf, let alone the City of Sport.

The Masters reminded me a tad of the Olympics. If you recall, Yorkshire proudly boasted that its athletes would - on their own - have been twelfth in the medal table. Well, Sheffield (or at least its 'metropolitan borough') featured three of the top seven players of the tournament, more than any other entire country on earth.

Remarkable. And yet this city still doesn't have the balls to call itself the City of Golf, let alone the City of Sport.

Yes I agree but Sheffield should have a world class golf course as we know all the best local golfer's traiin at Carlton-In-Lindrick