JAPS: an acceptable racial slur on BBC?

So can we no longer call people from the USA "Yanks" (Short for yankee doodle dandies I believe)

How about Frogs for the French People. They do eat the legs after all.

I was once Called "Roast beef" by an irate French Person. Should I be offended?

Should I refrain from referring , to people from Sweden as Swedes as these are after all vegetables.

Are any English people offended if a foreigner calls them a Limey ?

I would most certainly be offended. I'm British ;)

Totally respect your opinion but your wrong, it's a racial slur, and not because I want to disagree with you but because it actually is. It's just a term that hasn't had eggshells laid around it like terms such as *akki.
I can agree with all of this, abbreviations being slurs, because it grinds my gears when people call us Brits. If all the others are racial slurs, calling us Brits must be as well.

Or is Brit, Aussie, Yank, Paddy, Jock, Taff, etc, all ok because they're generally white? And of course, there are no racial slurs against you when you're white. :rolleyes:

Isn't language all about the context that it is used?

I don't see any of the examples I have shown derogatory in any way. Racism is created by the minority after all ... 'Black Music Awards' ... why don't we have the 'White Music Awards'. 'Gay Pride' ... what happened to 'Hetro Pride'? Why are posters on SF subjecting Gay Venues, isn't that a racist slur? If a poster on SF put subject up about 'Hetro Pride' how long would that last before being taken down???

Absolute bloody nonsense in my opinion!

Japs is fine. 'Stupid wop dago' is questionable according to South Park.

The world's going mad. Like a previous poster has indicated, 'Brit' abbreviated from British, 'Pak*' (*for all you politically correct as I know this is particularly contentious) abbreviated from Pakistani, 'Yank' abbreviated from Yankee, 'Aussie' abbreviated from Australian, Iti, abbreviated from Italian ... and on and on and on and on and on ....

Just get over it, call them what you will and see who cares?

Hmm. So you feel comfortable insulting the British (my bold), but uncomfortable insulting Pakistanis, (my bold).:huh:

Yes I'd agree with this. Though I'm not sure why the OP thinks that any station other that the BBC would be more acceptable....

I don't see any of the examples I have shown derogatory in any way. Racism is created by the minority after all ... 'Black Music Awards' ... why don't we have the 'White Music Awards'. 'Gay Pride' ... what happened to 'Hetro Pride'? Why are posters on SF subjecting Gay Venues, isn't that a racist slur? If a poster on SF put subject up about 'Hetro Pride' how long would that last before being taken down???

Absolute bloody nonsense in my opinion!

I don't understand the point that you're making, and what it has to do with my point about language being about context. You must be aware that over time the context that a once innocent word is used can lead it to becoming a pejorative slur.

You do know that white people have won Mobos don't you?

But words aren't defined by context, they're defined by their social ecceptance, which may vary place-to-place, person-to-person.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 21:36 ----------

Yes I'd agree with this. Though I'm not sure why the OP thinks that any station other that the BBC would be more acceptable....

Sorry. What makes you think I think that?

But words aren't defined by context, they're defined by their social ecceptance, which may vary place-to-place, person-to-person.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 21:36 ----------

Sorry. What makes you think I think that?

If he's referring to the Japanese army certainly circa ww2, then japs is probably acceptable. It was the term used then. Similarly he could have used the boch or Jerry to describe the Germans of the same era.

If he's referring to the Japanese army certainly circa ww2, then japs is probably acceptable. It was the term used then. Similarly he could have used the boch or Jerry to describe the Germans of the same era.

But it was considered derogatory term in that era.

But it was considered derogatory term in that era.

They kinda earned it.