Husband losing £6000 per annum as company stopping on call

Hes worked for them for 18 years and that is the only contract he had but cant find it now. Back then he worked in a warehouse so nothing at all related to what he does now. So really his whole job role is implied and thats what worries me they could take more of his duties away and take more money away because theres nothing written down.

HR have already said there is no copy of his contract. Its only his manager that said he has read it - this is likely to be a lie because managers don't keep contracts HR do.

He has just come home and has told me he is going to appeal as he wants those points addressing.

Thanks to all the useful posts on this thread. After complaining that his grievance had not been answered he was given a further letter. This stated that because he had a contract (which they had some how managed to find) that none of his role was implied. And reiterating that a contract from 2001 did not mention on call - well of course it didn't because he wasn't doing on call back then. Talk about banging your head against a brick wall.

Anyway he started a new job on Monday, his basic salary is higher than his basic one with his current employer plus once he has more experience in the role they want him to do on call with them. So eventually he will end up better off.

I had to quit my part-time evening job because of the hours he is working as we don't have childcare but as he is earning more money now this is not a problem.

Once again thank you to all the useful posts.

Glad to hear that, hope all go's well for you in the future.

Lets hope this has been a blessing in disguise. I hope you will all be much better off now he is in a new job. I wonder of his old employers will regret losing him?

His new employer seems a lot better than is old one even though it has only been a week. His old employer didn't think he would leave - his boss said that to one of his colleagues, h told him that he wouldn't get another job as he was "punching above his weight".

They were completely shocked according the same colleague and had a meeting with him and the other guy that used to be on the same team after he left. Apparently they were expecting the guy that got the promotion to come back to his old team and fill in for my husband - his boss wouldn't let that happen. They have had to advertise for someone new.

I think they thought they could just walk all over my husband and he would just take it.

Well done to you both! I have been there so know how frustrating it is. They obviously took him from granted and made a mistake.

His new employer seems a lot better than is old one even though it has only been a week. His old employer didn't think he would leave - his boss said that to one of his colleagues, h told him that he wouldn't get another job as he was "punching above his weight".

They were completely shocked according the same colleague and had a meeting with him and the other guy that used to be on the same team after he left. Apparently they were expecting the guy that got the promotion to come back to his old team and fill in for my husband - his boss wouldn't let that happen. They have had to advertise for someone new.

I think they thought they could just walk all over my husband and he would just take it.

Good, I hope your hubby does well and his former employer does not, I suspect the latter will happen. You can't faff around with loyal long term employees like that and expect to do well.

Thanks for all the positive comments. His ex employer has been around for a long time, people have been sounding the death nell for them for years but they are still here. But if they do go under I can't say I or my husband would be sad to see them go!